Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit reporting differences to the CRAs

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Credit limit reporting differences to the CRAs

I pulled my EX report from annualcreditreport.com, and I noticed that it did not list a CL for my Mileage Plus Chase Visa.  Under "Credit Limit/Original Amount" it says "NA" and for "High balance" it says $7000.  At the bottom of the account entry, there is a statement that reads, "Between Sep 2008 and Oct 2009, you credit limit/high balance was $0.  Between Dec 2007 and Aug 2008, your credit limit/high balance was $20,500."  The $20,500 is the correct CL for this card.

Why would Chase stop reporting the CL as it used to?  I also don't understand the discrepancy between the account info and the written statement.

I went back and looked at my TU reports, both from here and from annualcreditreport.  Like EX, no credit limit is reported.  The high balance is $6699.

On EQ, however, the $20,500 CL is reported.  The high balance is also $6699, but this only appears on the annualcreditreport report.

Why would my CL be reported to one credit bureau, but not the other two?  Has anyone else noticed the same phenomenon? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit limit reporting differences to the CRAs

I would contact Chase and see what's up with that.  It's always best to have consistency on all 3 reports. 
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like Chase converted that card to a Visa Signature, and that is how such cards typically appear on the CRA reports. You could call or email Chase for confirmation. Chase converted some of their Amazon accounts in the same way. EQ formats the data differently from the other two CRAs, but theoretically Fico scores from all reports should be similar ...
Message 3 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the feedback.  I contemplated contacting Chase, but I'm hesistant to call any attention to my account.  I don't come close to using that amount of CL, and I worry that if I start asking them to investigate any inconsistency, they might find a reason to cut my CL.

Message 4 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Lel, do not call Chase.  Let it be.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, Chase is not Bank of America. Chase has done a number of these conversions in the past few months, so I expect they have had numerous queries about accounts that are reporting CLs differently than before. DW noticed that her CL started reporting differently on her Chase Amazon account a few months ago and sent an email asking why. Chase responded with a canned reply about the Visa Signature conversion and "no pre-set spending limit". Within a month, DW also received an explanatory notice in the mail about the conversion. YMMV, of course. From various reports, it appears that these conversions are considered upgrades by Chase and are generally done for good customers with high CLs. DW's CL was also 20K and the account was active but never had large amounts of purchases charged against it.

I bet if OP waits a couple of weeks, they will receive the same explanatory notice in the mail ...

Message Edited by Revike on 12-30-2009 05:01 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.