Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limits

tag
User273165
Regular Contributor

Credit limits

I currently have 2 credit cards, ones limit is $300to and the others limit is $500. My credit scores have gone up to the 759 and 786 since i got both of them. Scores were in mid 600's when i got them.

Will those small amounts affect my chances of getting a new card with a high limit? I make around 50k a year so I would like a higher limit card to keep my utilization low.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit limits

Most lenders will match or exceed the limits by a certain percentage, you're probably looking at $1000 - $2500 right now based on your existing lines. I can't imagine anyone going beyond that until you establish more experience with higher limits.

Message 2 of 18
beb86
Valued Contributor

Try Barclays, Chase or AMEX (charge) 

Message 3 of 18
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think the Chase Freedom would be a good option. They may give you a high limit, but they can offer low limits instead of a flat out denial.

After you see how that goes, you can look at an amex revolver with a starting limit of $2,000. The 61 day cli will get you where you want to be.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 18
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Are you eligible to join Navy Federal CU? They are known to give out high limits. Another good route is an AmEx revolver for their soft CLI's. Also, Walmart card for the free TU08 FICO score and soft CLI's.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only speak for myself here, but I had no problems with lenders exceeding my existing lines.  I only had two $750 lines reporting, and Amex gave me a $6,000 limit on my Blue and Chase a $2500 limit on my Freedom.  However, I had also had an Amex charge card for almost two years when I applied for both of those cards, that I had put just about all of my spending through.  I'm sure that was influencing Amex more than my two CapOnes.  Anyway, don't assume you'll have to put up with more low limits.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet would be trying to join a CU and applying for one of thier CCs. They are usually pretty flexable and your more involved with the application process, where your usually met with a CU rep and they help you along the way.

Message 7 of 18
User273165
Regular Contributor

I currently belong to a credit union.  I was thinking either trying at the CU or going with the Chase Freedom card.  Thanks for all the info

Message 8 of 18
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@AJC1987 wrote:

I currently belong to a credit union.  I was thinking either trying at the CU or going with the Chase Freedom card.  Thanks for all the info

Usually credit unions don't offer real great rewards.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 9 of 18
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Like said before, try to set dates with Amex. Even a charge card will bring you backdate later on and guarantee you don't get any more hps from them.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.