Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit or cash?

tag
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

Credit or cash?

I enjoy using credit cards to reap the rewards they offer and to increase our credit scores, but I still think cash is king. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit or cash?

I spend more when using a Credit Card because I'm too lazy to track my spending daily.  I use cash when I'm actualy trying to reduce the amount I spend on dine out, in particular.  One day, I'll reap rewards and have discipline at the same time.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 2 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

I enjoy using credit cards to reap the rewards they offer and to increase our credit scores, but I still think cash is king. Thoughts?

Not sure it means much without more explanation.   And clearly in some cases it really isn't true.  Try renting a car with cash for example.

Message 3 of 41
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

in my opinion, it works both ways. 

if you just reap the rewards credit is king. 

once you start getting ahead of yourself and racking up balances. cash should be used as its interest free. 

or in my case, use it only for necessities, like gas (normal cash back spending etc) otherwise its cash. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 41
TheFate
Established Contributor

Credit is King, not cash.

Even rich people know that

Message 5 of 41
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

For decades I carried a few hundred dollars on me at all times. Then came the advent of rewards cards and debit cards. I carry almost no cash now unless the wife tosses me a twenty. It's a plastic society now.

Message 6 of 41
dursty87
Established Contributor

I am always trying to get some type of rewards/cashback so I use my CC's 99% then promptly pay them off before accruing interest.
Message 7 of 41
r34dy2fly
Contributor

I almost never pay with cash and on the few occasions that I do, its only because they don't accept credit cards.

I think if you have the discipline to monitor your spending, it would be stupid to not use credit with the myriad of reward options that are available today. Its "free" money that you're getting back for spending.

Just think of it this way, with the current interest rates being as low as they are, rewards programs that offer 5% is doing more with your money than your savings account that provides .03% interest. I know there are online savings accounts like Barclays and such but they still cap out around .95% a year. 

Message 8 of 41
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ssondubs wrote:
I am always trying to get some type of rewards/cashback so I use my CC's 99% then promptly pay them off before accruing interest.

For me clearly credit is king  or maybe I should say plastic is king!  Why?  Because where I live up to 5$ it is all coins (first paper bill is  at 10$) and believe me this is a hassle and really gets heavy in your wallet so I pay with cards whenever it is possible. It used to be with Maestro but why use a debit card if you can use other plastic cards with some rewards. For me credit is like debit and I use my cards that way for years. And simply love it.... the only negative is the signature part if you are used to chip & pin for years but I have hopes that the US will one day also adobt to chip & pin on their cards. Terminals here are ready for 10+ yrs.

Message 9 of 41
r34dy2fly
Contributor

Chip and pin cards are available in the US but you'll be hard pressed to find a vendor that uses it.

I have a chip and pin card for when I go travel towards Europe. 

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.