Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit or cash?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit or cash?

@r34dy2fly wrote:

Chip and pin cards are available in the US but you'll be hard pressed to find a vendor that uses it.

I have a chip and pin card for when I go travel towards Europe. 

There are no US cards that default to chip&pin... all are set to chip&signature with options to pin if signature is not accepted...so that is useless as signature is accepted worldwide.... I have not found a single terminal in Europe where my chip cards would work with pin Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are obviously ways that you can use credit and still watch how you spend so you don't go above your means. I do it a couple of ways. If I'm carrying cash, I use my credit card, then I take the cash from my wallet and lump it together with the receipt in the proper amount. Next chance I get to the bank, I depot it so I can make the payment to the CC. If the money is already in my account, I just wait until the charge posts and I pay it immediately. Not that difficult as long as you aren't tempted to keep the cash on hand and let the balance linger.

Message 12 of 41
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

YES, I like using credit that gives me more cash in my pocket. 

I earn between 1-6% sometimes more. using credit cards to earn me rewards that are cash in my pocket. On top of it I can earn interest on my cash that sits in my bank. I don't have to worry if my bills are going to hit in the proper order and only after my paycheck hits the bank, I can just pay them when they are due knowing that I have enough extra float in my checking account because bills are sitting on my credit card at 0% interest for at least 25 days. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 41
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

I enjoy using credit cards to reap the rewards they offer and to increase our credit scores, but I still think cash is king. Thoughts?

Broad generalizations are of limited use IMO given that they tend to oversimplify matters.  Like any other set of options there are pros and cons to each side.  You've pointed out one benefit of credit that isn't available with cash.  Longtime pointed out another situation where cash clearly isn't king.  As many other threads mention, cash doesn't offer the protection or tracking that credit offers.

However, some places only take cash.  Some places offer a cash discount or tack on a surcharge for credit purchases.  Some find that they prefer to help out small businesses by paying in cash so the shop doesn't have to pay the card processing fee.

Just as a hammer isn't the best tool for every job, neither cash nor credit is the best payment method for every situation.  Instead of relying on "cash is king" assess the situation and make a judgement call.

Message 14 of 41
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

I enjoy using credit cards to reap the rewards they offer and to increase our credit scores, but I still think cash is king. Thoughts?

Why use cash unless place only takes it? Credit you get Cashback or points. it isn't much but even 1% is better then 0%.  Plus if you get robbed you lose that Cash. If they steal your credit cards you call them up and say they were stolen and dispute any charges 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 15 of 41
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Why use cash unless place only takes it? Credit you get Cashback or points. it isn't much but even 1% is better then 0%.  Plus if you get robbed you lose that Cash. If they steal your credit cards you call them up and say they were stolen and dispute any charges 

Getting something back is always better than getting nothing back in my book Smiley Tongue

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 41
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

Unless they are from an older generation, when I hear someone say they only use cash my first thought is they only use cash because they have bad credit.  I know, stereotyping is wrong but that's what pops in my head. Smiley Surprised

Message 17 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Getting something back is always better than getting nothing back in my book Smiley Tongue

Right, but as takeshi says, some places will give (unofficial) discounts for cash, so that way you may be getting back more.

Message 18 of 41
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

There are no US cards that default to chip&pin... all are set to chip&signature with options to pin if signature is not accepted...so that is useless as signature is accepted worldwide.... I have not found a single terminal in Europe where my chip cards would work with pin Smiley Sad

UNFCU do issue Visa card that is pure chip-and-PIN. For those cards you can test them at Walmart, the terminal will ask for PIN.

Message 19 of 41
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I really only deal with cash if it's necessary.   Even if rewards aren't an issue, cash is bulky and messy, really.   There are some places where communicable diseases have dropped because card transactions largely replaced cash transactions.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.