Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit questions: Balance reporting and AAoA

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Credit questions: Balance reporting and AAoA

These are certainly questions of the  "_________ for Dummies" variety, but I'm going to ask them anyway and hang my head in shame later:  

Is the balance reported to credit reporting agencies the balance on an account as of the closing date of the statement?

When is interest calculated and applied?   

If I have newly established accounts (department store cards, mostly) that I don't foresee using which are affecting my average age of accounts number, should I just go ahead and close them?  

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit questions: Balance reporting and AAoA

The amount reported will be the balance after the statement cuts.  It will vary by CRA, but usually just a couple of days. 

IMO, I would not close any new accounts,  It will affect your utilization.  It will still help your AoAa, if you do close them (7 years I think?)

Just charge something small on them to avoid them possibly closing them.

Message 2 of 3
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit questions: Balance reporting and AAoA

You know, I hadn't even considered utilization.  I have pretty low utilization, and these are low limit accounts.  I'll have to do the math to see whether that would mess me up...

Thanks!

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.