cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

Valued Member

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.

Message 11 of 19
New Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

DubbaYou,

 

The best way you could start is to talk to a local credit union. They are usually more forgiving of the past and willing to start you off with a small card to get you started. Capital one was also another on I got when I had around a 620. It really just takes some time to build up ontime payments, and I wouldn't worry about the card(s) being secured or not. Just get going and be patient. It will get better. Good luck!



Starting Score: EQ 593 TU 606
Current Score: EQ 680 TU 682 EX 684
Goal Score: 700's baby let's get it!


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?


DubbaYou wrote:

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.


Having 2 positive TLs reporting is helpful for future approvals. It isn't necessarily going to boost your FICO. But banks/CCs like to see at least 2 positive TLs reporting for at least a year (in general).

 

You might try calling local CUs. Some are rather conservative, but others are willing to work and help people rebuild. When I first started rebuilding, I opened one secured acct. The loan officer at my bank suggested that I open a second one somewhere else, so I opened a 2nd one at a local CU. That was actually really good advice, because I learned later from an underwriter that they like to see at least 2 open accounts/TL reporting.

 

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 19
Valued Member

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

I already have a Capital One which has been opened for 16 months.  I have some store cards which I never use that are reporting good TLs too.  I am about to have a couple more baddies come off, so hoping my score will go to 650ish and that may give me more options.  I am hoping if I get all baddies gone and grow my history, I can hit 700 at the end of 2013.

Message 14 of 19
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

Are you eligible for NFCU membership? If so then I would app them. I would look for a credit union. If, you need to get a secured credit card with a credit union and build on it for a year.

Message 15 of 19
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

I agree with others about going with a CU. Are you in with any?




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 19
Valued Member

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).

Message 17 of 19
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?


DubbaYou wrote:

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).


If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

 

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

 

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?


LS2982 wrote:

DubbaYou wrote:

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).


If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

 

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

 

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

 


Im in Florida.........Fairwinds is good so far......kind of conservative...

 

I have alliant Visa...opened with BK reporting  7 yrs ........they are the 1st CC  company to give me 5000 CL from the get go......


Message 19 of 19