Valued Member
DubbaYou

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.

New Contributor
theagent26

DubbaYou,

The best way you could start is to talk to a local credit union. They are usually more forgiving of the past and willing to start you off with a small card to get you started. Capital one was also another on I got when I had around a 620. It really just takes some time to build up ontime payments, and I wouldn't worry about the card(s) being secured or not. Just get going and be patient. It will get better. Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 593 TU 606
Current Score: EQ 680 TU 682 EX 684
Goal Score: 700's baby let's get it!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
bichonmom

DubbaYou wrote:

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.

Having 2 positive TLs reporting is helpful for future approvals. It isn't necessarily going to boost your FICO. But banks/CCs like to see at least 2 positive TLs reporting for at least a year (in general).

You might try calling local CUs. Some are rather conservative, but others are willing to work and help people rebuild. When I first started rebuilding, I opened one secured acct. The loan officer at my bank suggested that I open a second one somewhere else, so I opened a 2nd one at a local CU. That was actually really good advice, because I learned later from an underwriter that they like to see at least 2 open accounts/TL reporting.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Member
DubbaYou

I already have a Capital One which has been opened for 16 months.  I have some store cards which I never use that are reporting good TLs too.  I am about to have a couple more baddies come off, so hoping my score will go to 650ish and that may give me more options.  I am hoping if I get all baddies gone and grow my history, I can hit 700 at the end of 2013.

Regular Contributor
armywifey85

Are you eligible for NFCU membership? If so then I would app them. I would look for a credit union. If, you need to get a secured credit card with a credit union and build on it for a year.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

I agree with others about going with a CU. Are you in with any?

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Member
DubbaYou

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).

Mega Contributor
LS2982

DubbaYou wrote:

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).

If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Contributor
amercnchopz34

LS2982 wrote:

DubbaYou wrote:

If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

Im in Florida.........Fairwinds is good so far......kind of conservative...

I have alliant Visa...opened with BK reporting  7 yrs ........they are the 1st CC  company to give me 5000 CL from the get go......

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+