cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

tag
DubbaYou
Valued Member

Re: Credit score 626, recommended card to help?

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.

Message 11 of 19
theagent26
New Contributor

DubbaYou,

The best way you could start is to talk to a local credit union. They are usually more forgiving of the past and willing to start you off with a small card to get you started. Capital one was also another on I got when I had around a 620. It really just takes some time to build up ontime payments, and I wouldn't worry about the card(s) being secured or not. Just get going and be patient. It will get better. Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 593 TU 606
Current Score: EQ 680 TU 682 EX 684
Goal Score: 700's baby let's get it!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@DubbaYou wrote:

That's a FICO, not FAKO.  I check my credit report through all three CRAs monthly through Citi Identity Monitor.  My score is coming up though.  I had crap that didn't belong to me on my CR and enough baddies that did. 

I am trying to GW the CAs but I have Midland and CACH on there...and they are dumbasses. 

Question: would a secured card be of any help?  I need to get my score up to increase my credit limit and establish more credit history...which will get my score up.  I know time will raise my score, establishing good payment history and removing the baddies plus the baddies that may not be removable aging, but I want to do whatever I can to get this done FASTER. 

I have written countless GW letters, emailed CEOs, talked to Executive Office people, researched here, another credit board, plus plenty of other spots.  I was literally homeless and hungry, so yeah, I missed payments.  I just want to fix this now that my life is back together.  I am grateful for being alive, healthy and want my credit to be healthy too.

Having 2 positive TLs reporting is helpful for future approvals. It isn't necessarily going to boost your FICO. But banks/CCs like to see at least 2 positive TLs reporting for at least a year (in general).

You might try calling local CUs. Some are rather conservative, but others are willing to work and help people rebuild. When I first started rebuilding, I opened one secured acct. The loan officer at my bank suggested that I open a second one somewhere else, so I opened a 2nd one at a local CU. That was actually really good advice, because I learned later from an underwriter that they like to see at least 2 open accounts/TL reporting.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 19
DubbaYou
Valued Member

I already have a Capital One which has been opened for 16 months.  I have some store cards which I never use that are reporting good TLs too.  I am about to have a couple more baddies come off, so hoping my score will go to 650ish and that may give me more options.  I am hoping if I get all baddies gone and grow my history, I can hit 700 at the end of 2013.

Message 14 of 19
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Are you eligible for NFCU membership? If so then I would app them. I would look for a credit union. If, you need to get a secured credit card with a credit union and build on it for a year.

Message 15 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I agree with others about going with a CU. Are you in with any?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 19
DubbaYou
Valued Member

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).

Message 17 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@DubbaYou wrote:

Not with any CUs as of now.  I live in FL but not many options in my town (smaller city).

If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 19
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@DubbaYou wrote:

If you are affiliated with any of these organizations from this list:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/organizations/

You can get in with alliant CU, you should get some history on a secured card first, try Cap1. Give it 6 months and try these guys out if you can get in.

Im in Florida.........Fairwinds is good so far......kind of conservative...

I have alliant Visa...opened with BK reporting  7 yrs ........they are the 1st CC  company to give me 5000 CL from the get go......

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.