Established Contributor
jaybird201

Credit score bump as a result of new apps?

Just applied for the J.CrewCard from World Financial Network National Bank, the GAPCard from GEMB and the SunocoCard from Citibank. Approved for all three, and they've reported for about a month now.

Also, when I pulled my scores, my utilization was through the roof (20% as compared the usual 5%) due to AmEx reporting a $2k plane ticket I bought a couple of months ago). So my score should have been lower than my more recent score of 709.

I just checked my EX and my score and it's up almost 30 points?

Any thoughts on whether or not this was due to my new mix of credit?
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Re: Credit score bump as a result of new apps?

[ Edited ]

jaybird201 wrote:
Just applied for the J.CrewCard from World Financial Network National Bank, the GAPCard from GEMB and the SunocoCard from Citibank. Approved for all three, and they've reported for about a month now.

Also, when I pulled my scores, my utilization was through the roof (20% as compared the usual 5%) due to AmEx reporting a $2k plane ticket I bought a couple of months ago). So my score should have been lower than my more recent score of 709.

I just checked my EX and my score and it's up almost 30 points?

Any thoughts on whether or not this was due to my new mix of credit?

What mix?  All the accounts you mentioned are revolving accounts.

If you're referring to the gas/store card mix, I really doubt that's worth 30 points.  5-10 at the most.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-04-2008 06:12 AM
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

It could be due to the fact you are letting revolving accounts report balances, as opposed to always reporting 0 balances. That could possibly give you 20 points or so.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor
jaybird201

FretlessMayhem wrote:
It could be due to the fact you are letting revolving accounts report balances, as opposed to always reporting 0 balances. That could possibly give you 20 points or so.

I think you might be right. I also had another couple cards in the sock drawer that I pulled out and made some small purchases on to keep them active.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+