Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score for a minor?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit score for a minor?

I can only speak for myself. I am very responsible with credit and not at all implusive. I'm cheap and search high and low to make sure I am getting the lowest price possible. I have never been late on anything. I even pay the balance off before the statement closes. I just wanted a credit card so figured why not? I got the Amazon because of the financing offers. I never buy more than I can afford but if the money can sit earning 4% interest for a few more months, I see that as a plus. My parents have multiple store cards. Their credit is spotless with scores above 800 I believe. Maybe there are people who have store cards that don't make the best decisons. I just personally don't think it is fair to lump everyone together. Store cards can also have very high limits and again, one has to start somewhere. Macys was the first to give me a chance and I am sure many others started out with a store card that they probably still have today.

@webhopper wrote:

That's really awful, but it's good you're doing great now. I know when you cosign something you take responsibility for it but I think they could have tried to work something out. Especially since you were divorced. I am really surprised though that the Discover card wasn't closed. A lot of companies now will close if you go a few months without making a charge to the card.

Message 31 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The JCPenny card was re-activated in 2011, opened in 2003...  last purchase made on the card was bras and panties back in 2003 lol. I got the card for the discount. recently reactivated the card, and used it for panty hose. I think on the closing the account statement, YMMV...  everyone may have a different scenario....

I had probably 7 CC accounts opened between 1999-2004...  Also, I opened 1 for carpet in 2009 (decided to pay cash for carpet)  Of those only two stayed open while being sock drawered, but at least 2 is better than the nothing I would have had Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 32 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I can only speak for myself. I am very responsible with credit and not at all implusive. I'm cheap and search high and low to make sure I am getting the lowest price possible. I have never been late on anything. I even pay the balance off before the statement closes. I just wanted a credit card so figured why not? I got the Amazon because of the financing offers. I never buy more than I can afford but if the money can sit earning 4% interest for a few more months, I see that as a plus. My parents have multiple store cards. Their credit is spotless with scores above 800 I believe. Maybe there are people who have store cards that don't make the best decisons. I just personally don't think it is fair to lump everyone together. Store cards can also have very high limits and again, one has to start somewhere. Macys was the first to give me a chance and I am sure many others started out with a store card that they probably still have today.

@webhopper wrote:

That's really awful, but it's good you're doing great now. I know when you cosign something you take responsibility for it but I think they could have tried to work something out. Especially since you were divorced. I am really surprised though that the Discover card wasn't closed. A lot of companies now will close if you go a few months without making a charge to the card.

I totally think I just got really really lucky....   The thing was that they probably would have worked with me on a settlement... but I totally didn't want to hear about it.  I was 25 yrs old, and I just KNEW they couldn't make me pay for a truck that wasn't mine.  Guess we found out who won that one Smiley Sad

FICO 9:

Message 33 of 37
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

It may not be fair but this is how it works. Credit is hardly a fair industry, and as we all know some people have advantages while others are simply left to play catchup. You might be responsible with your own credit, but if you have lots of store credit cards you're going to be lumped in with others who do as well. Many of them won't be responsible, but this is one way how credit card companies profile people. Think about it this way: someone who is jumping at 15% discounts for in store credit cards typically fall into one of two categories: ignorant or financially weak. Ignorant here doesnt mean stupid, but they just might not know about how these things affect their credit score. They might be young with no significant credit history and are prone to making mistakes. Financially weak means exactly that. If that 15% on the one purchase in front of you is that important, it says something about your financial situation and its not good. Higher end companies will avoid the latter type of customer like the plague.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 37
annalog

I agree TCB.  Unless he's traveling for school, keep that card in your drawer!

I suggest buying him a good money clip!!

If you're gonna get a card, get an Amex blue for him.

With Amex, you have the ability to set the credit line and turn on/off the authorized user's card "real time."

So you could give it to him "disabled," and turn it on in an emergency.

To my knowledge, no other CC company gives account holders this ability for their AU's.

TW=825, CB=819, TU=946
Message 35 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@annalog wrote:

With Amex, you have the ability to set the credit line and turn on/off the authorized user's card "real time."

To my knowledge, no other CC company gives account holders this ability for their AU's.

+1

Good idea!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 36 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@annalog wrote:

Wow, thats an awesome feature

FICO 9:

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.