Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score needed to get a non-secured credit card

tag
blue_moon
Established Member

Credit score needed to get a non-secured credit card

I am trying to rebuild my credit.  I have a secured credit card with Orchard ($500.00 limit) and I try to use less than 10% of the available credit and pay that off each month.  I have spent the past year paying everything on time and correcting errors in my credit report and my credit score has increased to 663 (Equifax..don't know the others).  I want to try to purchase a home  in October/November and would like to get my score up to 700 before I try to get pre-approved for a mortgage.  What credit score will I need to get a nonsecured credit card?  What bank issued credit card companies [besides Capital because I paid that account off after it went into collections] do I have the best opportunity of getting approval?   How much will applying for and getting another credit card impact my credit score?  I'm also terrified of applying for a nonsecured card and getting declined. 

Thanks so much any help you can provide. 

Message Edited by blue_moon on 06-15-2008 09:56 PM

Message Edited by blue_moon on 06-15-2008 09:59 PM

Message Edited by blue_moon on 06-15-2008 10:05 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit score needed to get a non-secured credit card

your scores sound good enough for secured for sure, I have less than 600 score and have some unsecured cards.
And if you only have 1 credit card, if you had 2 more cards your score should go up!
Try capital one, maybe even household bank for a 2nd card
BofA pre-qaul site.
Target, Macys would be a for sure approval.
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

blue_moon wrote:
I am trying to rebuild my credit.  I have a secured credit card with Orchard ($500.00 limit) and I try to use less than 10% of the available credit and pay that off each month.  I have spent the past year paying everything on time and correcting errors in my credit report and my credit score has increased to 663 (Equifax..don't know the others).  I want to try to purchase a home  in October/November and would like to get my score up to 700 before I try to get pre-approved for a mortgage.  What credit score will I need to get a nonsecured credit card?  What bank issued credit card companies [besides Capital because I paid that account off after it went into collections] do I have the best opportunity of getting approval?   How much will applying for and getting another credit card impact my credit score?  I'm also terrified of applying for a nonsecured card and getting declined. 

Thanks so much any help you can provide. 

Message Edited by blue_moon on 06-15-2008 10:05 PM

Your score is good. I would pull TU and EX though. Especially if you are goung to buy a home in the Fall. You need to repair the other two reports if items are on those two and not EQ.

Also, if you are going to buy a home in Oct/Nov., then I wouldn't app for anything new. The new credit may or may not harm your score and if there's damage, then you may not recover by then. However, I'd also bet that you may see a score increase if you app for 1 more card, maybe even a store charge card (improving mix of credit - also helps with utilization). BUT, lenders may not like to see this new credit.

Per the score, 663 is good. But it may be an uphill pattle due to a lack of revolving experience. I'd check out your other scores and pull from the strongest CR and use sites like whogavemecredit.com as a guide.
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

the fact poster wants to buy a house is exactly why I would add 1 or 2 more accounts. 680 is the real magic number with mortgages these days and with 1 credit account I just don't think they are going to have a chance to rise to 680 before nov. but adding a couple accounts, they will age over 3 months old before then and should give increase in scores as long as they stay below 10% util. just my thoughts
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say Chase or BOf America! GL on achieving your goals!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.