Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit steps and further info

tag
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Credit steps and further info

Hi all,

I've seen many members on this forum refer to "credit steps." Is there a thread or anything that explains what this is? I'm in the garden for at least a year after my recent spree and newly added cards, but I have a Cap1 Platinum that was upgraded to QS through the soft pull online product change page. I opened the card in late January. The limit, APR, account number, etc stayed the same -- low $300 limit.

I see nothing stickied about this so any insight would be amazing. I'll gladly take SP CLI's over the course of my gardening.

Thanks!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit steps and further info

Well CapOne should have sent you an e-mail after you made your first payment.  If you make your next 5 payments on time after that you get a CLI.

FYI, all capital one CLIs are a SP so you can ask for one but you can only get one every 6 months.

Also, if you are enrolled in credit steps then you can ask for a CLI before the credit steps increase (usually around month 3 or 4) and you will still get the credit steps increase at 6 months.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 8
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Gotcha--thanks for the info. Now that I'm looking through my Archived emails, I see the CLI email from late February... guess it hits in August. $300 to $500. Still going to keep the card in my sock drawer Smiley LOL

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 3 of 8
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Ya, well you can still ask for a CLI before the credit steps and you will get both.  It's a SP and if they say no there's no harm so you can ask for it every couple days until they offer it.

Just FYI capital one is unlikely to offer you any type of CLI if you don't use the card, so if that's your ultimate goal then sock drawer probably won't help you.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 4 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

Agreed, Cap1 loves seeing usage! If you use the card heavily it is not unlikely that you will get a higher credit steps increase. Good luck!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the record, our Credit Steps letter said we would be going from $300 to $500.  Around the 4 month mark we hit the luv button and got a $100 CLI and then the day after our 6th statement cut we got our Credit Steps CLI to $750.  So, it's not super high obviously, but it is more than the $500 we were expecting.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was enrolled in the credit steps program. But, when I chat with them they keep telling me I have to wait until my 7th statement for the increase. I didn't miss any payments and pay the balance off every month.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tried again for a CLI (seeing that I just upgraded my Platinum to QS yesterday) and I got the same 2-3 day denial message that I did last month. :\ Oh well, I'll just have to give it another shot next month.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.