Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union credit cards

tag
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Credit union credit cards

In general are credit union credit cards easier to get? I have a zero score and a cap 1 secured card. I found a local credit union to join and was wondering how long I should wait to apply for a card thru the credit union? Cap 1 is the only card I have and I'm going into my 3 rd month. Thoughts would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit union credit cards

To answer your question credit unions are necessarily easier to go get but they are generally manually underwritten and not solely based on computer judgement. I'd say they tend to look at the whole picture.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1 to manually underwritten and looks at the whole picture. There are some CUs that are conservative (PenFed) and some that are 'easier' (NFCU) but in general cu terms -APR-are better.

They might also offer cc secured with a CD or other options for approval.
Message 3 of 7
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

It's good to establish a relationship with them.  I was with mine for a year before I apped for a "credit builder" loan.  I borrowed 1k and they took it out of my account monthly.  They also attached a savings account to it that built up over $200 in the process.  After paying it off I apped for their cc and was approved for 5k.

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 4 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Hubcapjw wrote:
In general are credit union credit cards easier to get? I have a zero score and a cap 1 secured card. I found a local credit union to join and was wondering how long I should wait to apply for a card thru the credit union? Cap 1 is the only card I have and I'm going into my 3 rd month. Thoughts would be appreciated!

CU cards are typically more easier to get and if you do not have recent baddies can net you some decent starting CL's. IMO I would hold that secured card for at least 6 months and make a few deposits on it (get it to 2-3K) then try for it!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 7
Radek7752
Contributor

I would say that most CU cards are easier to get, but there are obvious exceptions like PenFed. My first credit card in my own name was through a credit union and I finally closed it out this past week due to no rewards structure and no real way to service the account over the phone. I would wait another 6 months before applying just to show a longer period of responsible use with what you have. You definitely don't want to be offered another secured card.
BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 6 of 7
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.