Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union limits

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Credit union limits

Are credit union approval limits higher than big banks???

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit union limits

I imagine if you've been a member for a while. We don't have a credit card thru our old credit union, but even with scores around the 490-500s, we were able to be approved for car loans. Granted, not great rates (11%), but still. It was nice to just call and say "We need a new car, what can we spend?"

Message 2 of 11
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

ymmv but from what ive seen on here cu are usually more lenient and are more generous with the lines/limits. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was with my CU for only a month and got a 20k limit.

Message 4 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

I'm torn between applying for my credit union or for chase freedom.... i used to have a credit union credit card about 7 yrs ago but they closed it because of 11 30-day lates.... it was only for $500 when I was new to credit... they are actually my very first bank from my university that I opened back in 2001, my first year in college... just don't wanna risk of gettn denied for freedom or with a toy limit.......

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 5 of 11
aplast
Regular Contributor

you know I believe YMMV. when I joined my CU they offered me a 0% BT 12 month offer if I opened a CC with them. I said ok, and they came back and said, " we can pay off your walmart card." I had a balance of 525 because I was taking advantage of 0% for 18 months. I tried to explain that and they came back and said we are trying to get you out of debt. Um I did get an awesome rate when I refinanced my car, but seriously? I couldnt believe they only offered me 600 bucks. oh well. My cap1 and sams discover are getting a good workout these days. Their rewards are better anyways. Hopefully they wont offer you a toy limit!

Message 6 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@aplast wrote:

you know I believe YMMV. when I joined my CU they offered me a 0% BT 12 month offer if I opened a CC with them. I said ok, and they came back and said, " we can pay off your walmart card." I had a balance of 525 because I was taking advantage of 0% for 18 months. I tried to explain that and they came back and said we are trying to get you out of debt. Um I did get an awesome rate when I refinanced my car, but seriously? I couldnt believe they only offered me 600 bucks. oh well. My cap1 and sams discover are getting a good workout these days. Their rewards are better anyways. Hopefully they wont offer you a toy limit!

I know, am tryin not to get a limit under $500.... I know my credit is not perfect but it really improved this past 5-6 months... my two capital ones finally reached $1000 and $1250 and my GE cards were over $1000+ ... I just want a good card with higher limit so I can use it this holiday (with rewards)... I really want a freedom card... I wonder if they would approve me once they see that I have an AMEX card..... Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 11
aplast
Regular Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:

@aplast wrote:

I know, am tryin not to get a limit under $500.... I know my credit is not perfect but it really improved this past 5-6 months... my two capital ones finally reached $1000 and $1250 and my GE cards were over $1000+ ... I just want a good card with higher limit so I can use it this holiday (with rewards)... I really want a freedom card... I wonder if they would approve me once they see that I have an AMEX card..... Smiley Indifferent

I have a friend who has similar scores to you.. he has a couple collections applied for freedom and got denied. I got him to call and recon and they approved him for 500 bucks. I mean I know the card will grow with responsible use... so I told him it was a success. BTW his quarterly cashback is pretty similar to my discover card.. obviously different catagories but nonetheless he seems to really like it. and I know this sounds absolutely crazy to anyone but us on this board, but I like the lime green outline on the edge of the freedom card! haha I know I know....

Edit: MY GE cards have grown with me so far as well! Keep those in good standing and remember every 4 statements go for that CLI! It has done wonders to my utilization

Message 8 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@aplast wrote:

@kobe2012 wrote:

@aplast wrote:

I have a friend who has similar scores to you.. he has a couple collections applied for freedom and got denied. I got him to call and recon and they approved him for 500 bucks. I mean I know the card will grow with responsible use... so I told him it was a success. BTW his quarterly cashback is pretty similar to my discover card.. obviously different catagories but nonetheless he seems to really like it. and I know this sounds absolutely crazy to anyone but us on this board, but I like the lime green outline on the edge of the freedom card! haha I know I know....

lol... I like the card design too!!!! that's one of the reasons I want it...lol... then I saw the CSP... it's even prettier!! most chase cards look nice i should say...

Message 9 of 11
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:

@aplast wrote:

the reward would be minimal for freedom at the moment. 

currently the only offer they have for (5%) is kohls and best buy. and hotel/airlines purchased DIRECTLY through the companies. everything else is 1% unless you shop through the rewards mall. 

i would say at discover its dept stores right now which is a little vauge but since i dont have the card so im not sure. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.