Established Contributor
Simply827

Re: Credit unions more generous with CLs than big banks?

I just joined PSECU. Hopefully they're generous. :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ 667 EX 670 TU 683
Goal Score: 700+

PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | DCU $5000 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Citi TYP $3500 | Barclay Ring $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Cap 1 QS One $1500 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

I am a member at PenFed, but have never applied for their credit card.  This is a very hard card to get.

I am a member at PSECU, but only for the credit score.  Their card doesn't really interest me.

It took a decent effort, multiple trips to the credit union, and a recon letter to get my SDFCU card.

The only credit union that gave me a quick and easy, instantly high-limit card was NFCU.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:701
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Established Contributor
Simply827

DaveSignal wrote:

I am a member at PenFed, but have never applied for their credit card.  This is a very hard card to get.

I am a member at PSECU, but only for the credit score.  Their card doesn't really interest me.

It took a decent effort, multiple trips to the credit union, and a recon letter to get my SDFCU card.

The only credit union that gave me a quick and easy, instantly high-limit card was NFCU.

I wasn't interested in PSECU's card at first; I primarily wanted an auto loan and the FICO score. I'm still on the fence about their card. It does have 9.9% APR if I need to carry a balance and 2.9% APR for BTs. If I could get a decent CL with them, that may help me get a better CL with Chase when I app later this year. My highest CL so far is only 1K.

PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | DCU $5000 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Citi TYP $3500 | Barclay Ring $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Cap 1 QS One $1500 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

Simply827 wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

I wasn't interested in PSECU's card at first; I primarily wanted an auto loan and the FICO score. I'm still on the fence about their card. It does have 9.9% APR if I need to carry a balance and 2.9% APR for BTs. If I could get a decent CL with them, that may help me get a better CL with Chase when I app later this year. My highest CL so far is only 1K.

You might as well try if you think it is a good card for you.  My own circumstances are different.

Of the main cards that I use, my USAA card is currently at 4% APR, my BoA card is at a 0% promotion, im using NFCU for a 0% balance transfer promotion, and my SDFCU card is permanently at 6.99% APR.  I don't pay interest on any of them, but if I had to, none would hurt much.  All of these cards offer rewards that I collect and save and watch for specific items that I may one day spend a ton of points on. 
Due to having these good cards already, It doesn't make much sense for me to apply for a card with a 9.9% APR and no rewards.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Established Contributor
Simply827

DaveSignal wrote:

Simply827 wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

You might as well try if you think it is a good card for you.  My own circumstances are different.

Of the main cards that I use, my USAA card is currently at 4% APR, my BoA card is at a 0% promotion, im using NFCU for a 0% balance transfer promotion, and my SDFCU card is permanently at 6.99% APR.  I don't pay interest on any of them, but if I had to, none would hurt much.  All of these cards offer rewards that I collect and save and watch for specific items that I may one day spend a ton of points on. 
Due to having these good cards already, It doesn't make much sense for me to apply for a card with a 9.9% APR and no rewards.

I think it may serve as a good "bridge" card on my way to Primeville. To me 9.9 is a great rate considering my next lowest is 17.9.

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

9.9% definately is a great rate for a credit card.  PSECU is at prime level already in that it has a good APR and doesn't charge fees.  There are specific circumstances that have allowed me to utilize occasional promotions on cards that I don't always use that have made PSECU not something that I need at this time.  I do wish PSECU would offer a rewards program on their card though.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+