Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit unions with low rates

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit unions with low rates

Lake Michigan Credit Union 6.75% if they give you the time of day.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irish beat me to it, but isnt Penfed Promise 7.9-variable based on credit worthiness? Or are we just listing the lowest APR per card?

Finding quite a few credit unions with 7.9 percent APR but they have requirements with duration of relationship, amount of deposit, current loan, etc.

Message 12 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Lake Michigan Credit Union 6.75% if they give you the time of day.

You guys do already know of the Lake Michigan CU big merger right?

http://fox17online.com/2015/10/14/lake-michigan-credit-union-merger-to-be-biggest-cu-merger-ever/

Message 13 of 17
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

FSUCU 

www.fsucu.org/loans/CreditCard.asp 

Platinum VISA
0.99% APR to 2.99% APR*
BALANCE TRANSFER PROMOTIONAL RATE
7.95% APR to 18.00% APR*
No annual fee
25-day grace period on purchases
24-hour toll-free member service
Cash advance access at ATMs worldwide
Travel/Accident Insurance
*Annual Percentage Rate
Agreement and Disclosure Statement

Message 14 of 17
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I've been wanting a credit union card for the sake of having a low APR if needed, but I'm afraid my INQs and new accounts will scare them off. I wonder what the difference in underwriting between major banks and CUs is if any
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I've been wanting a credit union card for the sake of having a low APR if needed, but I'm afraid my INQs and new accounts will scare them off. I wonder what the difference in underwriting between major banks and CUs is if any

@Anonymous question. I think it all depends on their mood. NASA approved then AA'ed me for 25k @ 10.9% APR.... but a local CU had no issues with all my new accounts or inquiries. They said my credit was excellent for them. The only reason I was not given 7.9% was lack of a relationship, and in 6 months to 1 year I will be eligible. With the 2.9% promotional APR for 12 months, that was a no brainer for me.  That was really a want though, not a need.  And they hit the nail on the head. There is no need to open a credit card with a credit union to build a relationship with them. A savings account, checking account, etc is all they really need.

Message 16 of 17
12njoy
Super Contributor

Michigan State University Credit Union shot me down due to too many inquiries and new accounts.  Gave me a lecture about opening up so many accounts.  I just wanted to hangup but they hadn't given me the decision yet so I had to bear and grin Smiley Mad  I'm in the garden so no one tempt me because I'm weak Smiley LOL

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.