Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors canceling cards

tag
tvandine
Contributor

Creditors canceling cards

How many of you have experienced a creditor canceling your card for no use? What card was it and how long did it take of no use for them to cancel it? 

Did is you ever buy anything on it? Is just buying a dollar or two a month on it good enough to keep them open? 

Let te me know all the info on this I'm very interested in it!!! Thanks guys

You don't even want to know how many cards i've got....

Credit Started May 31st, 2014 EQ:710|EX:712|TU:732 FICO:726
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TheFate
Established Contributor

Re: Creditors canceling cards

Every company is different but I did have a Robbins Brothers Retail card which was only inactive for 3 months after paying it off and they froze it... said I would need to reapply if I wanted to use again. I forgot the technical term they used but they said they wont close it for now.

But yes to answer your question as long as you spend a few bucks every other month the card will remain open... I've called to ask my GE card how long will they allow to be open with no activity and they said 18 months.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Men's Warehouse Charge Card closed after three years for inactivity.
Message 3 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

I use my cards every 6 months to keep theam active, $1-$2 and then pay it off in full. This keeps them active.

Message 4 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

I had a GEGRB/Jc Penney Card opened back in 1996. I requested it an my 3 other credit cards all to be closed (before I knew then what it would do to my credit and score). All three closed but the JC Penney's card. I don't think I ever used it past 1998 and it did not close until 2012. Kind of glad now because it is an old account and has helped my AAoA since so many of my other accounts have aged off. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 6
TheFate
Established Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I had a GEGRB/Jc Penney Card opened back in 1996. I requested it an my 3 other credit cards all to be closed (before I knew then what it would do to my credit and score). All three closed but the JC Penney's card. I don't think I ever used it past 1998 and it did not close until 2012. Kind of glad now because it is an old account and has helped my AAoA since so many of my other accounts have aged off. 

So why close if its helping your AAoA?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.