Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

After opening up two cards in the last 2 months. Barclays this morning decided to cut my credit with them from 7k to 5k. I called and they said it was to limit their exposure.

These guys are off their rocker and are more sensitive than a baby.

So that being said what are some other creditors out there that get spooked very easy and will give you a CLD for the slightest of reasons?

First on the List

BarclayCard

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

After opening up two cards in the last 2 months. Barclays this morning decided to cut my credit with them from 7k to 5k. I called and they said it was to limit their exposure.

These guys are off their rocker and are more sensitive than a baby.

So that being said what are some other creditors out there that get spooked very easy and will give you a CLD for the slightest of reasons?

First on the List

BarclayCard

pretty much every lender will perform AA if you exhibit behavior they find risky (and they notice). The only real varible is what each lender finds risky

Message 2 of 92
Involver
Valued Contributor

The only reason a bank will ever take AA on you is due to risk.

So, there is no other "slightest of reasons" than limiting their risk.  

It's all based on complex models and statistics based on innumerable amounts of data across decades, and decisions are often made by computers.

Message 3 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone can face this at anytime. Staying "under the radar" by making regular more than minimun payments, keeping utilization on each account under 30%, keeping overall utilization under 12%. Just my take on it can help, but not guarantee this doesn't happen to any of us.

Message 4 of 92
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

1. Barclays

2. Barclays

3. Barclays

Need I say more?  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 92
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Second on the list:

DISCOVER

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 6 of 92
ddemari
Super Contributor

BOA
BARCLAYS
COMENITY
Message 7 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

It's all based on complex models and statistics based on innumerable amounts of data across decades, and decisions are often made by computers.

Good points!

It's important to keep in mind all the possibilities and factors when considering limit lowering and card closing. Missed payments, collection reports, defaults, criminal records, regularly high utilization, high numbers of inquiries and new accounts, high monthly debt to income ratio, and occasionally high total credit limit to yearly income ratio can all negatively impact how banks view their customers. And each bank has their own algorithms to determine the weight and limits for each of these factors. In most cases, adverse action happens as a result of multiple factors being cumulatively over the tolerance limit rather than a single factor that we see.

Message 8 of 92
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
BOA
BARCLAYS
COMENITY

Yes I forgot about BOA.

My wife had  a card with them years ago. She inquired about if they had some sort of hardship program and if her card was eligible for it. Her asking that question caused them to close the account during that phone call. They put her on hold and came back and said we closed your account. She was floored.

No one lost their job. Util was around 25% on that card at the time. She was just inquiring about programs they had. They never did open that back up.

Message 9 of 92
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:

No there are some banks that use just more than "RISK" to CLD you. Some do get spooked major easy and some times it isnt even warranted. Look at my BOA post above.

Message 10 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.