Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

...at the drop of a hat?

Barclays easily earns top honors in that by a very wide margin.

Of course any lender can and does for various reasons but how often do you read about it from posts of members who been victim of the Barclay jitters.

The only thing a Barclay cardholder can do, and especially when your file is 3 years or less is either walk the fine line keeping your new accounts and INQ's at bare minimum or LEAVE THEM BE.

Just be ON NOTICE should you choose a card from them that you are instantly entered into their hair trigger risk level computer process.

Message 11 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Involver wrote:

The only reason a bank will ever take AA on you is due to risk.

So, there is no other "slightest of reasons" than limiting their risk.  

It's all based on complex models and statistics based on innumerable amounts of data across decades, and decisions are often made by computers.

Good points!

It's important to keep in mind all the possibilities and factors when considering limit lowering and card closing. Missed payments, collection reports, defaults, criminal records, regularly high utilization, high numbers of inquiries and new accounts, high monthly debt to income ratio, and occasionally high total credit limit to yearly income ratio can all negatively impact how banks view their customers. And each bank has their own algorithms to determine the weight and limits for each of these factors. In most cases, adverse action happens as a result of multiple factors being cumulatively over the tolerance limit rather than a single factor that we see.

Well said!

Message 12 of 92
myjourney
Super Contributor

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat?

None you did something or something changed in your patterns or on CR's 

Which then lead to AA

IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 92
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Which then lead to AA

IMHO

Read my BOA post. 

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 14 of 92
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone can face this at anytime. Staying "under the radar" by making regular more than minimun payments, keeping utilization on each account under 30%, keeping overall utilization under 12%. Just my take on it can help, but not guarantee this doesn't happen to any of us.

Keep util overall under 30%....  I would say util on one account could be 50% but needs to be paid off more than min payment

I got FR'ed by Amex which is AA in December 2014 because I returned a bunch of items and bought more and than decided to balance transfer away to my chase card twice. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 15 of 92
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Which then lead to AA

IMHO

Read my BOA post. 

I'll be happy to analyze your case but you have 24 pages of post so link it here Lol

I'm not searching Smiley Tongue

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

This thread is just too easy. One hint. It's a British bank! Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 17 of 92
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
This post is just too easy. One hint. It's a British bank! Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Let me guess....BARCLAYS??? FYI I don't know anything about Barclays but I think I read it's foreign lol.

This forum makes me INFORMED to stay away from Barclays, Comenity, BOA, Sync, etc LOL

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 92
creditlady
New Contributor

There seems to be alot of "Know -It - Alls" in this thread. 

Fact is jittery Creditors is a real thing. They are out there and they can CLD you for the smallest reason and they will.

I can  attest to  a BarclayCard CLD.  These guys are very funny acting.

Message 19 of 92
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

So that being said what are some other creditors out there that get spooked very easy and will give you a CLD for the slightest of reasons? 

It is not just a matter of the creditor.  If you're only looking at the creditor you're only considering half of the equation.  One's credit profile is just as important.  Any creditor can take adverse action if one's credit profile exceeds the creditor's risk tolerance.  In other words, person A may be at risk of AA from a number of creditors while person B may not even though person B uses the same creditors.  Everyone's credit profile isn't idenitical so you need to consider that.  There's no secret to what might lead to AA.  Negative payment history and other derogs are red flags to creditors.  High revolving utilization, sudden spikes in revolving utilization and debt can also be red flags to creditors.  A lot of new accounts and credit seeking activity can be red flags to creditors though what constitues "too many new accounts" is going to also vary by credit profile.  One person could see adverse action from adding X accounts while another with a stronger profile might not for the same number of new accounts.

Those with thicker profiles in good standing will tend to see less reaction from creditors for such changes while those with thinner profles and profiles with issues will tend to see more reaction from such changes.

I've run into CLD's and balance chasing but at the time I had a BK on my reports and high revolving utilization.  Since my reports have been clean and I've kept revolving utilization low that has not been a problem.  However, I have had creditors issue low limits for me due to recent activity.  As that activity has aged those limits have increased.  All that's only anecdotal but offered as an example of how your credit profile matters in all this.

Some creditors are more risk averse than others but it's not just a matter of the creditor alone.  Don't rely solely on a creditor's risk aversion.  Even creditors that are less risk averse can take adverse action on a profile that has serious issues.  The opposite is true as well.  A highly risk averse creditor isn't going to take adverse action if one has a strong enough credit profile.

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

No there are some banks that use just more than "RISK" to CLD you. Some do get spooked major easy and some times it isnt even warranted. Look at my BOA post above.

It is all about risk in the credit industry.  It's not what you perceive to be too risky but what the creditor perceives to be too risky.  It is never just about the one account held with the creditor but one's entire credit profile.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone can face this at anytime. Staying "under the radar" by making regular more than minimun payments,

The minimum doesn't really matter aside from being the least you need to pay to avoid a late payment.  Other than that, it's really revolving utilization that really matters in this context.  I generally wouldn't advise only making minimum payments but that's really more from a debt perspective than a matter of adverse action.

Message 20 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.