Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

This is my view on it, BofA does seem to be a bit more trigger happy, but in the grand scheme of things, it's pointless to worry about it. Don't forget also that we are also measuring BofA's AA tendencies through the lens of the myFICO forum posts. For example, for the next year or so I am currently at high risk from AA from BofA, they are my highest card, I have taken the card from 1.7K to 18K in slightly less than a year, I also added 9 new accounts in my spree of last September. So if I get AA'd by BofA, it's not the end of the world, I currently have cards from five different creditors, so I will always have a functional card for car rentals, flights, etc. There are also many creditors to choose from, I can also add PenFed, NASA, heck even Capital One (Venture only) if I had to for diversity. So I view the first 18mo of my credit building as "sea trials", an opportunity to see which creditors don't cut it. 

PS: If you are in a similar position as I am, recent app spree etc and you have a BofA account, there are things you can do to lessen your chance for AA:

• Don't call them for minor things that will only draw scrutiny to your account, APR reductions, product changes.
  • Keep inquiries to a minimum and GARDEN, BofA seems to relax a bit after 6mo has passed from an app spree: (6mo after my Sept app spree, BofA only SP's me once a month, they were SP'ing me weekly after my spree, I also have new prequals that appeared at 6mo post spree)
  • Keep utilization less than 30% on individual cards and 10% overall
Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 41 of 92
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Ultimately I agree that life's too short to worry about it. At the end of the day it's just credit cards and if AA happens deal with it, and life goes on.
Message 42 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Ultimately I agree that life's too short to worry about it. At the end of the day it's just credit cards and if AA happens deal with it, and life goes on.

Yep. This is the bottomline right here! I agree 100%. Life certainly goes on. No point in stressing over it.

Message 43 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yep. This is the bottomline right here! I agree 100%. Life certainly goes on. No point in stressing over it.

Agreed!

Message 44 of 92
galahad15
Valued Contributor

IME, I have not personally had any issues with AA from Barclay, but the biggest AA I received was from Citi and BoA.  During CARD Act, Citi attempted to RJ me on 2 cards from 5.99% F and 5.74% V to around 19% V or so on both.  I declined and opted out to preserve the existing rates, and as a result, Citi closed down about $27k in total credit limits that I had with them previously, not fun  Smiley Sad

BoA is a bit of a different story, they are actually my favorite cc lender of all, but they also did a $16k CLD  to me on 2 accounts a few years ago, all simply for asking for an APR decrease.  I have since been able to (albeit very slowly) start to build my total CL with them back over time, and even though they took the $16k CLD AA against me earlier, they are simply too important and valuable to my current card collection for me to want to close out any of my cards with them.  I have to give them credit actually tbh, they could have potentially closed down my accounts completely, which would have been a much harsher punishment if they had, but thankfully they did not.  My #1 favorite card in my present collection is my BoA Cash Rewards WMC, so it would hurt incredibly if they were to close that one down or take further AA on it, and so I have also taken recent action to reduce my risk of AA exposure with them by paying off huge amounts of my revolving balances with them, I think right now my total util with them is actually below 10%?

Message 45 of 92
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Lol. I know all about this, but life definitely goes on!! Smiley Wink

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 46 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

IME, I have not personally had any issues with AA from Barclay, but the biggest AA I received was from Citi and BoA.  During CARD Act, Citi attempted to RJ me on 2 cards from 5.99% F and 5.74% V to around 19% V or so on both.  I declined and opted out to preserve the existing rates, and as a result, Citi closed down about $27k in total credit limits that I had with them previously, not fun  Smiley Sad

BoA is a bit of a different story, they are actually my favorite cc lender of all, but they also did a $16k CLD  to me on 2 accounts a few years ago, all simply for asking for an APR decrease.  I have since been able to (albeit very slowly) start to build my total CL with them back over time, and even though they took the $16k CLD AA against me earlier, they are simply too important and valuable to my current card collection for me to want to close out any of my cards with them.  I have to give them credit actually tbh, they could have potentially closed down my accounts completely, which would have been a much harsher punishment if they had, but thankfully they did not.  My #1 favorite card in my present collection is my BoA Cash Rewards WMC, so it would hurt incredibly if they were to close that one down or take further AA on it, and so I have also taken recent action to reduce my risk of AA exposure with them by paying off huge amounts of my revolving balances with them, I think right now my total util with them is actually below 10%?

BOA is like that stern parent that puts you in time out. You might sulk and be mad at them for a lil while for punishing you. But, you never stop loving them! 💜

Message 47 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat?

None you did something or something changed in your patterns or on CR's 

Which then lead to AA

IMHO

Read my BOA post. 

You keep saying that BOA was unreasonable to close your wife's account because she called asking about a hardship program.  Maybe but have you considered that they may have information that there is a very high percentage of people that call asking about hardship programs that subsequently default on those accounts?  People don't randomly call credit card companies just to find out about their hardship programs. Something must have been a concern that led your wife to make the call and bring attention to her account.  I don't think this alone proves BoA was out of line at all.  

The mere mention of asking about a hardship program is going to get anyone attention, and I would say quite promptly.  Total consumer credit card debt has been in a slow but steady climb since 2010 with today the average household debt is $16,048.  Age is also factored in to the risk model because the highest average debt age range is 45-54 years, followed 35-44 years, slighly less than 2nd highest is 55-64 years after that the >35 years and 65< numbers drop down to an average of a few less thousands of dollars.  Another factor that goes in to those risk algos is the region you live in.

So sorry for the AA CG03 but you guys rang the bell just asking that question.

Message 48 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Involver wrote:

Whether or not one lender may have different risk critera than another is immaterial.  At the end of the day, no bank takes adverse action against a customer for anything other than behavior which they deem a risk that they are unwilling to accept.

My point. Some lenders risk levels is set lower than others. They are all not created equal. The exact same behaviour does not trigger reaction from every lender.

All creditors are equal, but some creditors are more equal than others.

Message 49 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

After opening up two cards in the last 2 months. Barclays this morning decided to cut my credit with them from 7k to 5k. I called and they said it was to limit their exposure.

These guys are off their rocker and are more sensitive than a baby.

So that being said what are some other creditors out there that get spooked very easy and will give you a CLD for the slightest of reasons?

First on the List

BarclayCard

OP did you call Sir Barclays' Portfolio Credit dept to try and get limit reinstated? Number is in backdoor thread. They reinstated mines and I closed it soon after. Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.