MMB85
Contributor

Critique/Advice!

Here is my profile:

Citi Card Platimum Select

opened: December 2009

opening CL: $1,000

current CL: $5,000

last increase: ~May-June 2013 (previously $3,500)

balance: $0

Discover More

opened: December 2009

opening CL: $1,000

last increase: ~May-June 2013

Chase Freedom

opened: July 2013

opening CL: $5,000

last increase: none

So through 3 cards, I have $15,000 available credit. I always pay the balance in full. Most of the time I pay it off before it even shows up on a statement with a due date. I use my chase card the most. Then my citi and then my master card. My plan is to use the citi and master card a couple times a month just so the stay active and I stay on those company's good side. 

I don't plan opening up any more credit cards in the near or distant future. What my plan is, is to eventually upgrade the citi and discover cards to more "prestigeous" cards. I haven't checked my FICO in a while. but the last time I did it looked like this:

Equifax: 761

Experian: 755

TransUnion: 767

And that was when I didn't have my Chase Freedom card and was when my Discover card only had a $500 limit. I just incraese it last week from $500 to $5000. 

So with those scores I only had a $5,500 credit limit and now I have a $15,000. Those scores were from about May/June 2013. 

Since I just got my Discover card increased, I will probably use it for a while before upgrading. But I am due for a Citi CL increase within the next month. Instead of the increase, should I upgrade it and then just hope that the new card will come with a higher increase?

For citi, what are the best cards? With that profile, I can get accepted to one of those cards that require "excellent" credit score/history, right?

Are the Citi Simplicity Visa Card, Citi Dividend Platinum and Citi Diamond Preferred their best cards? My current Citi is a visa, So I would probably have trouble upgrading to a master card, which is what the Diamond preferred is. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Critique/Advice!

Are you looking for rewards or low APR? Nice job on those increases btw.
Message 2 of 19
MMB85
Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Are you looking for rewards or low APR? Nice job on those increases btw.

Not looking for anything specific. I have 3 cards, 2 of which are considered low end/beginer cards. Been holding those since 2009. So it would be nice to upgrade those to their respective company's higher end cards. Of course high rewards is nice. But I have mostly been using my Chase Freedom for that. So I don't exactly NEED another card for that. I mostly want to just upgrade to more prestigous cards of which will give me higher credit limits and put me in the position to keep getting approved for increases in the future. 

Message 3 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Have you looked into CSP at all? It compliments nicely with the Freedom and has a generous sign up bonus.
Message 4 of 19
MMB85
Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Have you looked into CSP at all? It compliments nicely with the Freedom and has a generous sign up bonus.

Not looking to get a ANOTHER card. I am looking to upgrade a card I already have. I don't want a 4th card right now. I am sticking with 3. The Chase Freedom card is a brand new one, and a really good one. So no need to get another chase card. I am looking to upgrade my Citi card right now. Next will be the Discover card. But since they just gave me a $4,500 increase, I am going to get some use out of it before asking for a upgraded card. Which would probably be the Discover-IT. But who knows, there may be a better one out for them when that time comes. But for right now. I am looking to convert my Citi Platinum Select to a new and more prestigous Citi Card. Most likely the best card they have. A non anual fee one. 

Message 5 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Got it now. Ive had success calling up Citi and asking if any of my accounts were eligible for an upgrade. Dividend would be nice with the rotating 5% categories.
Message 6 of 19
MMB85
Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Got it now. Ive had success calling up Citi and asking if any of my accounts were eligible for an upgrade. Dividend would be nice with the rotating 5% categories.

Yah for Citi I am looking at Citi Diamon Preferred and Citi Simplicity. Citi Dividend is really nice too. Rewards aren't a big deal since I use my Chase Freedom frequently and like to build up my points through that. 

Message 7 of 19
swpopham
Established Contributor

Not looking to get a ANOTHER card. I am looking to upgrade a card I already have. I don't want a 4th card right now. I am sticking with 3. The Chase Freedom card is a brand new one, and a really good one. So no need to get another chase card. I am looking to upgrade my Citi card right now. Next will be the Discover card. But since they just gave me a $4,500 increase, I am going to get some use out of it before asking for a upgraded card. Which would probably be the Discover-IT. But who knows, there may be a better one out for them when that time comes. But for right now. I am looking to convert my Citi Platinum Select to a new and more prestigous Citi Card. Most likely the best card they have. A non anual fee one.

Your not wanting much are you? You say prestigious but want no annual fee. What's your income and spending look like? You want prestigious get the citi prestige card.
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 8 of 19
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Only you can decide what may be the "best" card for you from citi. Personally, the Dividend isn't that great due to their reward structure. If you're looking for what all the cool people are calling the best citi cards, it seems to be their ThankYou points card - but even then, I think there are different tiers of the same card. 

Based on what you have shared, I don't see why you would have any problem PC-ing your More to the It. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 9 of 19
colinstu
Regular Contributor

These are all No AF cards:

Citi's Simplicity and Diamond Preferred both have long 0% intro APR periods (both are 18 months), and low (possible min) APRs after the period. Neither have any rewards. But since you're PCing... probably won't have access 

Then there are the ThankYou, ThankYou Preferred, and Dividend Plat Select. The TY and TYP cards both give you 2x points on dining/restaurants (including fast food), and 1x on everything else. The TYP card has a $200 bonus after $1500 in spending in 3 months, again I don't think you'll be allowed to benefit from it. The Div Plat Select card is a 5% rotating category card. 

The Hilton HHonors card is useful if want to redeem your points on hotel stays with them. Gets you HHonors Silver status, 6/3/2 points on hilton stays/super markets - drugstores - gas / all other. 

Citi Forward is for students... I don't knnow if non-students can have it... but it's basically a 5x point version of the TY card... which is awesome! I'm a student and use the crap out of this card. 

The rest of their cards with AFs look to be fancier travel cards. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.