Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critique of an App. Plan

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Critique of an App. Plan

So given my sucess in January and meeting my minimum spend requirements with relative ease (along with the healthy backdate), my thoughts are now turning to the next planned app round. My primary goal is travel/miles with plenty of flexibility and a preference for American/US domestically, Oneworld globally. I was hoping to get some feedback on my ideas and plans.

Have:

PRG 1/11 (actually opened 1/14 - backdate to my australian account)

BCE 1/11 (actually opened 1/14 - backdate to my australian account)

Freedom 7/13

AMEX 61 day 3xCLI comes up mid next week on my BCE - I've met spend and only intend to bump it up to give me a limit above 5k. Have put about $1400 through it since opening, and will try for the full 3x. I intend not to use the card too much more though, as the new Everydays better fit my spend profile.

24th April - I hit 3 months since my last apps/inqs. While my accounts don't show it as much with the backdate - my oldest account will be 3.3 yrs, 2.4 yrs AAoA. All my accounts will update with utilization optimized. There are 3 EX inquiries for January (one failed app Chase, one successful CLI (didn't intend but leveraged it), and one AMEX). There is also was a utilities inq from AT&T on EQ earlier this month. Nothing on TU in the past year, and only the original Chase application on EX (other two are a util and a cap one that are over a year as well).

I have a few cards in my list of wants, though they have changed somewhat with my evolving strategy and new offerings, Here is my planned apps:

April 2014:

Barclays Arrival WMC (Fee version)

Reason: I need a no FTF card, and other than Chase cards (I am trying to give my EX a rest - and a TU pull is not a worry), none of the cards I want have this feature (I failed on my CSP application back in January). I also like the signup bonus, FICO score, and the earning potential on this card (2 for 1 isn't a bad base rate, I also like you can use it where mileage awards aren't available). The no FTF fee is necessary as I have two trips to opposite sides of Canada in June and August.

AMEX Everyday Preferred

Reason: I pretty much meet the level of category spend that would make this card ideal. ~6k groceries a year is pretty close for me, and I also tend to do plenty of gas, and in non-Freedom quarters this would earn well for me. Maxing these benefits out would net me a nice amount of points a year, with less spend than required on the PRG. As I like MR points for the flexibility of both star alliance and oneworld (plus usable for British Airways avios), this fits nicely with my 2 program spending. I also would get a 3 year base backdate which would also be useful - not full, but offsets adding the barclay and solids up my AAoA.

Other cards of interest, but probably not until next round:

CSP

Reason: I've wanted this card, and need it to liquidate my currently 40,000 points sitting on my Chase Freedom. The signup bonus is also pretty attractive, whether I kept it past fee would depend on how useful it was compared to the arrival.

Citi AAdvantage WMC

Reason: I want this for the airline benefits, checked bag, grp 1 boarding, AA miles signup and cheaper awards. If it had no FTF I would be getting this in preference to the Arrival.

And maybe a hotel card to round out my set (probably IHG rewards - though my wife might get that instead).

Next planned app round post April:

Probably going to sit back 6 months before applying again (will have some apps with wife anyway), so October would be the target month.

What are peoples thoughts on this plan? Any suggestions on better ways to go about it?

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Crisis
Established Contributor

Re: Critique of an App. Plan

@tornadoguy wrote:

So given my sucess in January and meeting my minimum spend requirements with relative ease (along with the healthy backdate), my thoughts are now turning to the next planned app round. My primary goal is travel/miles with plenty of flexibility and a preference for American/US domestically, Oneworld globally. I was hoping to get some feedback on my ideas and plans.

Have:

Freedom 7/13

AMEX 61 day 3xCLI comes up mid next week on my BCE - I've met spend and only intend to bump it up to give me a limit above 5k. Have put about $1400 through it since opening, and will try for the full 3x. I intend not to use the card too much more though, as the new Everydays better fit my spend profile.

24th April - I hit 3 months since my last apps/inqs. While my accounts don't show it as much with the backdate - my oldest account will be 3.3 yrs, 2.4 yrs AAoA. All my accounts will update with utilization optimized. There are 3 EX inquiries for January (one failed app Chase, one successful CLI (didn't intend but leveraged it), and one AMEX). There is also was a utilities inq from AT&T on EQ earlier this month. Nothing on TU in the past year, and only the original Chase application on EX (other two are a util and a cap one that are over a year as well).

I have a few cards in my list of wants, though they have changed somewhat with my evolving strategy and new offerings, Here is my planned apps:

April 2014:

Reason: I need a no FTF card, and other than Chase cards (I am trying to give my EX a rest - and a TU pull is not a worry), none of the cards I want have this feature (I failed on my CSP application back in January). I also like the signup bonus, FICO score, and the earning potential on this card (2 for 1 isn't a bad base rate, I also like you can use it where mileage awards aren't available). The no FTF fee is necessary as I have two trips to opposite sides of Canada in June and August.

AMEX Everyday Preferred

Reason: I pretty much meet the level of category spend that would make this card ideal. ~6k groceries a year is pretty close for me, and I also tend to do plenty of gas, and in non-Freedom quarters this would earn well for me. Maxing these benefits out would net me a nice amount of points a year, with less spend than required on the PRG. As I like MR points for the flexibility of both star alliance and oneworld (plus usable for British Airways avios), this fits nicely with my 2 program spending. I also would get a 3 year base backdate which would also be useful - not full, but offsets adding the barclay and solids up my AAoA.

CSP

Reason: I've wanted this card, and need it to liquidate my currently 40,000 points sitting on my Chase Freedom. The signup bonus is also pretty attractive, whether I kept it past fee would depend on how useful it was compared to the arrival.

Citi AAdvantage WMC

Reason: I want this for the airline benefits, checked bag, grp 1 boarding, AA miles signup and cheaper awards. If it had no FTF I would be getting this in preference to the Arrival.

And maybe a hotel card to round out my set (probably IHG rewards - though my wife might get that instead).

Probably going to sit back 6 months before applying again (will have some apps with wife anyway), so October would be the target month.

What are peoples thoughts on this plan? Any suggestions on better ways to go about it?

Seems like a solid enough plan to me.  You listed quite a few cards on my wishlist.  Good luck!

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Id do your Amex, Citi AA, and Arrival on your next app spree.

Message 3 of 4
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

Have:

Freedom 7/13

April 2014:

AMEX Everyday Preferred

CSP

Citi AAdvantage WMC

Hey tornado! Glad to see you're doing splendidly with your credit Smiley Very Happy

I'm liking the two cards in this go-round, especially since you got two in january. four within 6 months, though a lot of me, isn't so bad in the scheme of things, especially since you're finding great uses for them!

I was really curious with the Everyday as well, until I started playing around with the oneworld and avios from BA to AA for some locations I'd plan on flying to on my own dime in the next couple of years (Phoenix, NOLA, Seattle)...didn't seem to fit me so well, considering I don't mind being cheap and flying coach Smiley Tongue with the transfers at other airports needed and limited availability of coach seats, it's more convenient just to search around on other airlines and buy a ticket that winds up being cheaper anyways. However, based on some locals you may need to travel to, and if you like business and first class, it is worth it!

All the best in your journey!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.