cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Collateralization on credit cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cross Collateralization on credit cards.

Does anyone know if US Bank take money out/freeze my checking account if I can't pay my credit cards with them?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
r34dy2fly
Contributor

Re: Cross Collateralization on credit cards.

No. They can't unless it specifically says so under an agreement you signed. That's 99% unlikely but check anyway. I've never banked with US Bank.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cross Collateralization on credit cards.

Same Bank

When you put money in a bank, that institution has the right to take the money you put in your account to pay off any other obligation you have to the bank without having to go to court. This right, called the right of setoff, comes from the Federal Reserve and is how a bank can, for instance, wipe out your savings account to pay off a bounced check. As written, the regulation doesn't let banks use the right of setoff to take your checking account to pay a credit card debt. Because of this, some banks write their credit card agreements to get around the limitation and give them the right to take your checking account. If your credit card agreement has this language -- referred to as a security interest -- your account could be taken to pay off a defaulted credit card after all.

http://classroom.synonym.com/can-banks-checking-accounts-default-credit-cards-18680.html

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.