cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious....AU on AmEx, AU uses the most, AU pays from his bank account....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious....AU on AmEx, AU uses the most, AU pays from his bank account....

Hi all,

I'm curious...Since my future wife got approved for AmEx BCE last month for $2,000 SL and added me as AU. She got the statement few days ago and we read it (to make sure all is good) we laughed because we noticed I used it the most ($908 to $214 that she used). AND I put in my bank info ONLY as source of payment.

Got me wondering how AmEx views this? would AmEx in the future offer me my own card (I know AmEx does not approve anyone with less than 5 years on BK, I'm almost a year post discharge), I'm not worried about TRYING to get my own AmEx now LOL! Just a curious mind Smiley LOL

Oh yeah...she also has Capital One QS and Barclay Rewards MC accounts and payment sources is coming from my bank with my name *AND* I am *NOT* AU on these 2.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Curious....AU on AmEx, AU uses the most, AU pays from his bank account....

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious...Since my future wife got approved for AmEx BCE last month for $2,000 SL and added me as AU. She got the statement few days ago and we read it (to make sure all is good) we laughed because we noticed I used it the most ($908 to $214 that she used). AND I put in my bank info ONLY as source of payment.

Got me wondering how AmEx views this? would AmEx in the future offer me my own card (I know AmEx does not approve anyone with less than 5 years on BK, I'm almost a year post discharge), I'm not worried about TRYING to get my own AmEx now LOL! Just a curious mind Smiley LOL

Oh yeah...she also has Capital One QS and Barclay Rewards MC accounts and payment sources is coming from my bank with my name *AND* I am *NOT* AU on these 2.

Cheers!

I don't think Amex cares one way or the other and highly doubt it has any affect on your ability to be approved for an Anex.  They separate, as do a lot of creditors, who charges what so that the card holder knows about card use.   Nothing more.  As for payment source, that doesn't matter either.  They only care that they get paid, not who owns the account.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the source account isn't really of importance...unless it's empty Smiley Wink

Think of it as a landlord, getting the check from a Sugar Daddy the landlord just 'cares' that the rent is paid...

'who's' cutting the check isn't of one bit of concern ...they'll cash any check on behalf on apt 101

nana

b/f

the dog

Santa

Easter Bunny

doesn't make a difference

As far as a vendor knows your future wife uses your account to pay her bill...SO WHAT, they can't read as much as you think into

whose account the payment comes out of ...it coud still be HER money as far as they'd know right?

So n short NO you wont be getting an offer of credt based upon the payment source...

You may or not not get some 'credit' juice for even having the AU accounts listed on your reports, it wasn't clear how long you've been on

and if all accounts have shown up for you yet.

The reason, I ask is some vendors don't list or report AU's with different names as you aren't married yet, if your addresses have been the same

for awhile this might not be a problem for most but some won't report due to the thinking on non-relative piggy-backing....

The new thinking is outside of family the AU bump has become a bit of a no-no because of past abuses of non-related ppl 'selling' a piggyback on their good credit.

Again, they'll give a card and take payment and allow usage it's the credit reporting that has tightened

Don't be surprised if you don't see the accounts report for the AU...it's felt it's one thing to 'help' a kid or a hubby but not the neighbor guy paying $500 to piggyride to a better undeserved credit rating FYI

I'd advise you to use some of those funds to establish at least a few secured accounts to put some points up on YOUR scoreboard as the BK ages ...you're paying anyway why do it all in the dark....

Some vendors will GIVE you a secured loan or CC as long as you fund an account, BK or not...outside of a CHEAP laughable 2-3% for a secured installment loan the CC won't cost you any % because you won't cary any balances as you build....all you have is time anyway, right?

Which is all you need to age the BK but why not build as it ages again cause you taking shots on goal anyway....may as well get some 'credit' for making payments and use that time Gemini style killing two birds same stone just MHO

Message 3 of 17
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

If I remember correctly, isn't a known financial review trigger that the AU does most of the spending on an account?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

If I remember correctly, isn't a known financial review trigger that the AU does most of the spending on an account?

Funny....that is the first thing that came to my mind when I read that the AU is using more than the card holder Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 17
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Funny....that is the first thing that came to my mind when I read that the AU is using more than the card holder Smiley Wink

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!

Message 6 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

One person here had that happen and the account was closed then a slew of other cards closed followed shortly so it may have to do with something else also. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 7 of 17
jbsea
Established Contributor

Hummm, I have a amex Delta that I have a friend using to build his credit.  I do not use this account at all.  The limit on this card is $1000.  He pays it and uses it a lot.  I do have my PRG and ED that between them DW and I put about $5000 a month on these.  Aways pay in full.  Do you think amex is looking and wondering whats going on with the Delta card?  I would hate to have a financial review just because of that.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 8 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Hard to say really, can't get into the minds of AMEX to tell you what they really look at.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AU on all my Amex cards as well as most of my CCs does about  75% of my CC spend because she does all the shopping.  I've never had an issue with any creditor.  Highly doubt Amex cares unless there is something else that raises an alarm.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.