Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about Barclays "Prime" designation by some

tag
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Re: Curious about Barclays "Prime" designation by some

I kinda skimmed through the thread after the derailing, but here's my take on Barclays.

I got their B&N MC a few years ago when i started re-building. At the time, I didn't know about rebuilder cards- just figured it would be an easy card to get. And since I always bought a crapload of books from B&N, it made sense for me.

They started me with 2.5k. Received a 1k limit every 6 months (never asked for one), so I'm now up to a 6.5k CL. My APR is currently 15.24% which is typical for CC's.

When i got my kindle, I wanted to do a PC. They will NOT do them. Called a few times and it was a no go each time.

Someone said they're an entry level prime card, I kinda tend to agree. But overall, since their cards all seem to be store/brand specific, there's really no point in getting one unless you'd shop at Apple, or in my case B&N a lot.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 51 of 71
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

Does Barclay's have a android app??

No just an apple app and also you cant use mint with barclays Smiley Sad

Yea and apparently GECRB banned mint too, I went back to pageonce today. Thats a shame I really liked Mint too! Smiley Sad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 52 of 71
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

I tend to think "prime" is very subjective. It more or less depends upon where one is in the credit journey. I've read excited posts about Amex Zinc approvals for $500 PSL and auto-pay. A $500 CL wouldn't feel prime but it's still a foot in the door with Amex.:

Basically, any card that grows with me is prime. That being said, I really only judge a card by it's utility, function, and how well it fits into my needs and spending habits. I have 6 cards that are pretty good.

Prime isn't important to me as a concept. CC companies are selling feelings, I ain't buying.

If they put actual hooters on Hooters cards, I'll take one regardless of limit. Smiley Happy

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 53 of 71
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot of people lately referring to their Barclay's card a being "Prime" and "Super-Prime" for some reason and I'm a bit confused.  I'm wondering if I should try to PC from my Juniper card to a better product that everyone seems very happy with (i.e. Apple card).  Can anyone let me know what it is about a Barclay's card that you consider "Prime"???

I'm looking for any combination of:

Good rewards Crimson Rewards, 5000 bonus points, then earn one point for each $1.00 of Net Purchases. meh.

Low APR check- 7.24

Excellent BT offers check- 0 percent promo, no BT fee. then 7.24 APR, no BT fee.

No FTF check

Great Customer Service check

High Credit Lines check- went from 4 to 5 digit CL in 1st year.

These are my typical criteria when considering the word "prime"... Barclays has, at least in my experience, been none of these things... but since I already have an account open with them (just CLD'd with no explanation, won't fix it without a HP which I won't authorize).... I was hoping one of their other products may be a better fit?

Any suggestions/input?

Thanks everyone!

Considering the criteria listed in OP haacard is probably one of their most "prime."

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 54 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@GB44 wrote:

Jausanka,

Thanks for making this post!

Originally, I was going to come out of the garden to app for the Apple card being that my computer needs an upgrade. The only use that I would have for the card is taking advantage of the 12 month 0% offer. In my opinion, it's not a card that will grow with me or one that I'm going to use on a regular basis.

I decided to use the Bill me Later 6 months 0% offer. This seemed to be a better option as my utilization won't be impacted.

I think Barclay's Apple card has its niche in the market, but it's not for me.

Hpw does that work??

My pleasure... I know there are a lot of people out there curious about the Apple card specifically.... I was also curious about bill-me-later, as I saw that they may now have revolving lines that would be of interest rather than a one-off transaction (but I didn't mention it here because I was hoping for a product change for Barclays)... Any additional info?

What exactly is Bill me later?? A CC??

Hey LS read this link about Bill Me Later, I did not go thru each page to see if you replied, maybe you missed it, some good info about Bill Me Later in this thread (I'll link you to my reply, you can read the entire thread if you like)

BillMeLater

ETA: this reply from Member "impovingmycredit" is a perfect description of BillMeLater Click Me

Message 55 of 71
CS800
Super Contributor

BML pulls on a soft and gives you a credit line. And it doesnt affect your AAoA and your util ..WINNING !!

Message 56 of 71
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Well if my iPad let me it would not be an issue I do it but that iPad ignores it once I post it. Know problem
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 57 of 71
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

BML pulls on a soft and gives you a credit line. And it doesnt affect your AAoA and your util ..WINNING !!

I tried and it wanted a HP but it had to chip though the ice to see it. No thanks!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 58 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I tried and it wanted a HP but it had to chip though the ice to see it. No thanks!

No kidding? Thank goodness your EQ was froze!

According to the Rep at BML it's only a soft, I asked like 4 times.

And I was also told (by James BML CSR) to tell any members here that if they were HP'd to call BML and they will remove the HP.

Never know what to believe anymore!!

Message 59 of 71
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

No kidding? Thank goodness your EQ was froze!

According to the Rep at BML it's only a soft, I asked like 4 times.

And I was also told (by James BML CSR) to tell any members here that if they were HP'd to call BML and they will remove the HP.

Never know what to believe anymore!!

Can't take the chance of a HP and have Barclay's doing AA on me!!! I want to keep my Barclays account long long time!! luv me long time Barclays! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.