Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about SCTs...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious about SCTs...

I'll be honest and just say that I'm testing to see the SCT waters because of straight curiosity.

I put goodies in my VIctoria's Secret cart and got the pop-up for $750.

I put goodies in my cart for J.Crew (I actually shop there often) as a "Guest" and didn't get any pop-up at all.  Smiley Sad

I put together a cart for Ann Taylor (shop there a lot too) and got a pop-up as well but I can't remember if they specified a limit.

I don't actually want any of the cards (I've declined them all) - so why does it feel so satisfying to see that pop-up appear?  LOL

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Curious about SCTs...

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be honest and just say that I'm testing to see the SCT waters because of straight curiosity.

I put goodies in my cart for J.Crew (I actually shop there often) as a "Guest" and didn't get any pop-up at all.  Smiley Sad

I put together a cart for Ann Taylor (shop there a lot too) and got a pop-up as well but I can't remember if they specified a limit.

I don't actually want any of the cards (I've declined them all) - so why does it feel so satisfying to see that pop-up appear?  LOL

I can only speak for myself.  I messed up my credit a few years ago,  and  when I started the rebuilding process in earnest this year, no one would approve me except for the predatory lenders(and we all know who they are) and store card companies.  Going unto a Comenity website and knowing that through SCT an approval is pretty much guaranteed is an ego boost (plus an adrenaline rush).  The only danger is opening up too many low limit cards and it hampering your ability to qualify for bank cards.  I like to look at my rebuilding process as a 3 level process.  Level 1 has been getting the store cards that I want and use.  Level 2 is working on getting the bank cards I want and will use.  Level 3 is getting my score high enough so that my partner and I qualify for a mortgage to build my dream home.  He's there, but I still have work to do. We have a home now, but it's not my dream, and I will make my dream come true.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1) The pop ups are soft pulls so you don't get a hardpull on your report.

2) It helps people build credit who otherwise can't get actual credit cards.  This serves as a stepping stone for them.

Message 3 of 6
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can only speak for myself.  I messed up my credit a few years ago,  and  when I started the rebuilding process in earnest this year, no one would approve me except for the predatory lenders(and we all know who they are) and store card companies.  Going unto aComenity website and knowing that throughSCT an approval is pretty much guaranteed is an ego boost (plus an adrenaline rush).  The only danger is opening up too many low limit cards and it hampering your ability to qualify for bank cards.  I like to look at my rebuilding process as a 3 level process.  Level 1 has been getting the store cards that I want and use.  Level 2 is working on getting the bank cards I want and will use.  Level 3 is getting my score high enough so that my partner and I qualify for a mortgage to build my dream home.  He's there, but I still have work to do. We have a home now, but it's not my dream, and I will make my dream come true.

Good luck KK!! 

As to the OP, I too wondered about this little "trick." A couple of months ago, I was going to make a purchase at VS and had the pop-up for $500. I wasn't interested in such a low limit, so I declined. I am, however, interested in both Carson's and DSW, but can't seem to get the pop-up for either. Wish I knew how to get this "trick" to work all the time! 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insights!

I also tried the trick at Banana Republic (I spend lots of $$ between BR, GAP and ON) but still, no pop up.  Boo.

I can definitely see how they would be great credit builders with the SPs.  If I had known about the SCTs, I probably would have gone that route instead of the app spree I did with regular MCs/Visas.  As it is, I'm glad I went that way since I was instant approved on the ones I apped for - but if I had understood the SCT first, I would have been too chicken to try the "big boys" and done VS, etc. first.

I guess since I've decided to be gardening, SCTs are a way to get that rush without actually doing much damage to my report.  LOL

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And KK, that's my process too!  I started rebuilding a year ago December (although again, not knowing the SCT trick, I opened a secured card with CapOne), just got my bank cards, and we're hoping to pull the trigger on a mortgage this summer.

I'm sending lots of good vibes your way!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.