Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current AMEX PRG cardholer question

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Current AMEX PRG cardholer question

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

How do you make the $175 AF worthwhile when using it?

Like anything else, worth is highly subjective.  The PRG isn't worth it for everyone.  None of AmEx's MR cards are worth it to me since I can't redeem travel with my preferred travel companies.

Message 11 of 17
phonic
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@phonic wrote:

1) Maximize the special Amex bonus cashback offers. You can easily clear a hundred or more using things like $20 back on a $100 purchase at Best Buy. Just enroll in the promo and use the card to meet the requirements. Granted not all are useful for everyone, but I routinely save $100+ a year. And remember, these can stack on multiple AU cards!

2) Maximize the Small Business Saturday promotion. It used to be $25 back on any $25 purchase (at a qualifying small business) which was VERY nice. This year, they dropped it down to only $10. But since you can get four PRG cards for no extra AF, that's still $40 back in your pocket. Almost any non-national-chain store counts.

3) Use your MR points for travel instead of gift cards. The point value for travel is usually worth much more than the $0.01/point for gift cards.

4) Take advantage of some of the Amex benefits like purchase insurance, etc. While many other cards offer similar perks, my understanding is Amex has some of the best when it comes to actually relying on them.

But 1 and 2 (and probably 4) are available on all Amex cards, right, including the 0 AF ones like BCE and Blue Sky.   So can't really be used to justify the AF on PRG.

But point 3 is right, while you get MR on other cards, PRG has a useful set of  bonus categories.  + the 15K bonus

True, but since those deals can be used across multiple cards at the same time, they still apply. You could get both and double your savings.

And the question wasn't whether it was worth getting the PRG over the non-AF cards, it was just how to mitigate the AF.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 12 of 17
maksimfa
Contributor

Make the points worth it, the double on gas and grocery.

Otehrwise... earn your bonus, cancel before renewal.

I think the Platinum card is far more worth it for the travel benefits. 

Message 13 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

A lot of Platinum card holders seem pretty upset about the reduction in benefits on that card, with AA lounge access going away and restrictions with other airlines.

Message 14 of 17
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@maksimfa wrote:

A lot of Platinum card holders seem pretty upset about the reduction in benefits on that card, with AA lounge access going away and restrictions with other airlines.

I'm really teed off about this.  I got the card mainly so I could use the AA lounge and now I won't be able to after 3/22.  Some Plat cardholders were offered a credit to off-set the cost of buying an AA club membership, but I wasn't.  I'm still calling them though to see if they can hook me up with a credit.

Message 15 of 17
phonic
Contributor

Yeah, the ongoing losses of platinum perks are making the card less and less valuable. Especially since they don't seem to be replacing them with anything of equal value.

As-is, and as-was, the Amex Platinum's only useful if you travel a lot or you live in a major metro area and can find the other concert/etc. promotions useful. 

For the average person who doesn't travel for work, it's simply not worth getting. Especially now. 

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 16 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Aw man so will it look bad if my dad closes he PRG AFTER the AF hits?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.