Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service: Varies by "Tier"

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Customer Service: Varies by "Tier"

I like to use the phone number for the highest tier product I have. Then let them connect me to somebody else if needed. Generally results in better customer service. As in, use the amex plat phone number for questions about the hhonors account.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 37
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Just got off the phone with Citi, asking for an APR reduction on both my Forward VS and my Dividend WMC.  First came the Forward.  I called the number, put in the last 4 digits of my card, and listened to all of the information on my account (balance, etc.).  Once finished, I had to sit through a voice prompt to be directed to the appropriate department.  I believe I was directed to a foreign call center and, while friendly, the CSR seemed somewhat unsure of his ability/authority to get an APR reduction.  In the end, it was a 5 minute call that dropped my APR to 14.24% (getting closer and closer to their lowest!)

The second call was for my Dividend.  Called the same number, input the last 4 digits of my card, and listened to all the information on my account.  This was exactly the same as before.  This time, however, I was immediately connected to a US call center afterward.  No voice prompts to navigate through.  The CSR seemed better informed and seemed to have experience in handling requests like mine.  I got the sense that he had the authority to handle my request.  The call was only 3 minutes and resulted in the same reduction to a 14.24% APR.

Similar things can be said about my experience with American Express.  I started off with the Zync, and later traded it in for the PRG.  The difference in customer service has been remarkable.  I have called in for both cards several times, and customer service has consistently been more helpful and informed for the PRG.  This has led to shorter call times and a better overall experience.

Have you noticed the same thing, or is what I am noticing more of an exception than the rule?

I agree with your AmEx experience. The "higher" you go, the "better" they treat you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 12 of 37
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

I gotta agree with the majority here.  It seems to me that it is flawed logic to assume that every card issued by a bank would, for some reason, have the same support.  The specific card is the product, not the issuing bank.  Isn't it pretty much the same as complaining that the BMW 1 series that you just bought isn't as fast as your friend's BMW M5.  We should try to be honest with ourselves and realize that we couldn't reasonably expect anything different.  If we did, then we need to realize that we weren't being reasonable.

+1. I don't see why this isn't obvious to everyone. It should be simple common sense.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 37
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. This reminds me of something my father told me as a child: "In this world either you have money or you have patience". This is a perfect example of that.

That is an interesting saying. It's actually very true haha

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 37
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. This reminds me of something my father told me as a child: "In this world either you have money or you have patience". This is a perfect example of that.

It is 100% true.

If you want the newest stuff all the time, want to have things all to yourself (like a private jet), want to skip lines and don't like waiting... it's easy as long as you have money.

If not you'll just have to wait in line like everyone else, wait until that new product becomes a bit older (and thus cheaper), stay on hold longer for CSRs because you're not flagged as a priority account, etc. All that waiting requires patience.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 37
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

It is 100% true.

If you want the newest stuff all the time, want to have things all to yourself (like a private jet), want to skip lines and don't like waiting... it's easy as long as you have money.

If not you'll just have to wait in line like everyone else, wait until that new product becomes a bit older (and thus cheaper), stay on hold longer for CSRs because you're not flagged as a priority account, etc. All that waiting requires patience.

I noticed this concept in action not just with regards to credit cards, but with job status and wealth as well.

As an undergrad, I made pennies working a full-time and two part time jobs. I'll bet I made $22,000/year back then...and I was treated like a peasant by my bank.

Now, I make well over six figures...have a graduate degree and a job of prestige...and these cats at financial institutions roll out the red carpet when I walk in. I actually had a banker at Chase walk away from a customer she was speaking to and ask me if I needed help

or a loan

or a new pack of free checks

or a cup of cappuccino.

And you know what? I LOVE IT. I'm not afraid to admit it.I  LOVE getting the royal treatment in recognition of the money I make those places...and in recognition of the years I worked to climb from the depths of BK into a different situation in life.

I think part of our current problem as a society (soapbox time, however briefly Smiley Very Happy  ) is that people who have not yet "made it" in life expect to be coddled and pampered by virtue of the fact that they breathe air. It usually takes a bit of time to build a strong credit profile and/or wealth - and to receive the treatment that follows. That is what makes the tough road to get there so worth the struggle.

OK, off the soapbox I step Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 37
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Customer segmentation is used by every company, including cable, mobile, retailers, etc. And the segmentation isn't merely limited to card type but also factors in spending. Someone paying $95 a year for their card but little spend vs someone at $0 AF but $35k annual spending = different customer treatments. Each company identifies these accounts with various wording such as high value accounts. Usually these are internal classifications not communicated to consumers but they do exist.

Message 17 of 37
kblatt
New Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. I don't see why this isn't obvious to everyone. It should be simple common sense.

It is common sense, and deep down everyone knows it.  The difference is, some people don't want to admit to themselves that not everyone is (nor should everyone be)  playing on the same field.  

It's consistent with the ethos that's sprung up in western society in the last decade... "why does HE/SHE get preferential treatment?" or "why isn't HE/SHE paying their FAIR share?".  It all comes from the same place, and it's a load of crap.  It's the 'participation trophy' mentality that's finally starting to take over.

Message 18 of 37
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

It is 100% true.

I noticed this concept in action not just with regards to credit cards, but with job status and wealth as well.

As an undergrad, I made pennies working a full-time and two part time jobs. I'll bet I made $22,000/year back then...and I was treated like a peasant by my bank.

Now, I make well over six figures...have a graduate degree and a job of prestige...and these cats at financial institutions roll out the red carpet when I walk in. I actually had a banker at Chase walk away from a customer she was speaking to and ask me if I needed help

or a loan

or a new pack of free checks

or a cup of cappuccino.

And you know what? I LOVE IT. I'm not afraid to admit it.I  LOVE getting the royal treatment in recognition of the money I make those places...and in recognition of the years I worked to climb from the depths of BK into a different situation in life.

I think part of our current problem as a society (soapbox time, however briefly Smiley Very Happy  ) is that people who have not yet "made it" in life expect to be coddled and pampered by virtue of the fact that they breathe air. It usually takes a bit of time to build a strong credit profile and/or wealth - and to receive the treatment that follows. That is what makes the tough road to get there so worth the struggle.

OK, off the soapbox I step Smiley Happy

+1. People need to know their place, and if they forget they sometimes need to be reminded.

That doesn't mean they can't work towards something better, but like you I'm a bit tired of people who haven't made it yet expecting to be treated like they have.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 19 of 37
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@kblatt wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

It is common sense, and deep down everyone knows it.  The difference is, some people don't want to admit to themselves that not everyone is (nor should everyone be)  playing on the same field.  

It's consistent with the ethos that's sprung up in western society in the last decade... "why does HE/SHE get preferential treatment?" or "why isn't HE/SHE paying their FAIR share?".  It all comes from the same place, and it's a load of crap.  It's the 'participation trophy' mentality that's finally starting to take over.

+1.

Answer: HE/SHE is getting preferential treatment because HE/SHE is more important than you. It's that simple. Not everyone is equal, and some people are better than others. That attitude is one of the major problems with Western society at the moment, and it's perhaps the biggest reason I don't have much faith in Gen Y.

In this world you can't have kings without servants, and I'm happy to allow servants to serve so I can live like a king. Often the people who complain the loudest have the least to offer, so why would you give such a person preferential treatment?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.