Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Rewards card better than I thought?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

DCU Rewards card better than I thought?

So, I was looking at the DCU Rewards card, and at first I was pretty underwhelmed. 1 point per dollar spent. Also, unless you save up 10000 points for a $100 gift card, you don't even get 1%. For example, a $50 gift card costs 6000 points. Yuck.

However, I looked further and noticed their Perks Points mall. Now, I know everybody has an online mall, to say nothing of the cash back sites, but this one is structured differently. Instead of each merchant offering varying amounts of points or cash back, you get five additional points for each dollar spent through the mall for ALL merchants. That means that if you are willing to save your points to redeem in $100 increments, you will be earning 6% back at all of their online merchants. I thought this was especially interesting since they have merchants in their mall (Walmart and Best Buy for example), that only offer 1-2% through other malls and sites. DCU also says that your points are credited once a day (although I can't tell if that applies to bonus points through the mall).

Am I missing anything? Seems like this card could be a 6% online shopping card if used correctly.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: DCU Rewards card better than I thought?

Their points expire in 4 years.

Message 2 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@DigitalArk wrote:

Of non-usage or four years from the day that they are earned?

Message 3 of 7
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Message 4 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@DigitalArk wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Well that's definitely not any fun. Thanks for letting me know. However, on the other hand I know it wouldn't take me four years to earn 10000 points at 6 per dollar. Perhaps if points are redeemed as soon as they hit 10k? 6% online shopping seems pretty nice.

Message 5 of 7
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

As long as it works for you.

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Well that's definitely not any fun. Thanks for letting me know. However, on the other hand I know it wouldn't take me four years to earn 10000 points at 6 per dollar. Perhaps if points are redeemed as soon as they hit 10k? 6% online shopping seems pretty nice.

Depends on the merchants of course.  The two examples you give, Best Buy and Walmart are currently 5% on shop discover, and 4% on some other sites where you could use a 2% card as well to get 6%.  And many merchants are available at some cashback malls at higher rates.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.