Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Visa Card

tag
shanao621
Regular Contributor

DCU Visa Card

Hi All, 

I've noticed a lot of on this board have had great luck getting approval with generous credit lines from DCU, I'm curious if you have to be a member to apply? I live in Mass and DCU is based here but as far as I can tell joining is very limited to specific companies and organizations so I was just curious how so many people have succeed in gaining a Visa from them. Thanks! 

Starting Score: FICO TU 503 FICO EX 470 FICO EQ 498
Current Score: FICO TU 705 EX 698 FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700 Club

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: DCU Visa Card

anyone can get in with a $10 donation to a charity, they're a very good company that gives you free Fico 04 EQ scoring which is used by 90%+ of creditors especially for mortgages. Get in your in the area, and if you apply in person you can get in with 1 inquiry and a credit card (1 pull for membership and credit card) in person, online you can have to get 2, 1 for credit pull and 1 for credit card.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 7
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Apply for membership first, wait for member number to arrive in mail and then apply for CC.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Eligibility by Organization You Belong To
You are eligible to join if you fit within any of these three groups:
  • You currently belong to or join an organization whose members we serve (see below).
  • You have a family relationship (as described above) to a non-member who belongs to an organization in our list of participating organizations.
  • You are the spouse of someone who died while they belonged to an organization in our list of participating organizations
Reach Out for Schools
Reach Out for Schools, PO Box 714, Marlborough, MA 01752 Reach Out for Schools Web Site  |  Reach Out for Schools/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
Reach Out for Schools is a non-profit membership organization that raises money to donate to primary and secondary schools in communities where our members reside. All the funds we raise are currently used to adopt classrooms through the Adopt-A-Classroom program.
Memberships start at $10.
AAPD – American Association of People with Disabilities
AAPD Member Services, 18 Harvard Drive, Milford, MA  01757 AAPD Web Site  |  AAPD/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
AAPD is a national nonprofit cross-disability membership organization dedicated to ensuring economic and political empowerment for all people with disabilities.  Member benefits include access to DCU, mail order discount pharmacy discount program, and more.
Memberships start at $15.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

To OP, if you are thinking about applying to avoid frustration and delay - get your membership approved first. Can't stress this enough.
Message 5 of 7
shanao621
Regular Contributor

Thank you all! I guess I misunderstood the eligability requirements, I didn't realize I just had to make a donation to one of those organizations. I'd like to join because from what I can tell DCU is very customer friendly and offers extremely generous terms on loans and credit cards for its members. 

Starting Score: FICO TU 503 FICO EX 470 FICO EQ 498
Current Score: FICO TU 705 EX 698 FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700 Club

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@shanao621

Keep in mind it is a HP for membership (EQ) and unless you apply in person- an additional HP for loans.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.