Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DH just got approved for Best Buy RZ MC

Congrats!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had that card for five years and have had that same credit limit for that 5 years.  They are my next card to get dropped.  I would have tried capital one.  They are usually pretty decent in comparison to hsbc and first premier.  Both of which I have had.  Axed first premier the first chance i got.  I was 532 when I got the card.  I am like 720 now.  Still the same credit limit.  LOL.  They are a joke.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my AMEX Blue Cash as my primary card and this card as my secondary for all the places AMEX is not accepted.

Message 13 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had that card for five years and have had that same credit limit for that 5 years.  They are my next card to get dropped.  I would have tried capital one.  They are usually pretty decent in comparison to hsbc and first premier.  Both of which I have had.  Axed first premier the first chance i got.  I was 532 when I got the card.  I am like 720 now.  Still the same credit limit.  LOL.  They are a joke.

I have two of their cards in my name. Personally, I like Cap1. But, when we tried their prequalifier for him, it didn't present him with any offers. So, we looked elsewhere. He only spends ~$100/month on incidentals, so this should work out well for him as a start.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just another thought... It's important to remember that we're all at different stages when it comes to credit building or rebuilding. A card that would be perfectly suitable for one stage -- say, with FICOs in the 500s -- would not be very attractive for someone in the 700s. I think that it's wonderful that your scores have improved to the point where you can move on to better options. I'm thrilled to have been able to move past FP! But, my DH has a very, very thin file and as a result his options are limited. We're both very happy that he was approved for a card that allows him to pay more than once a month without putting holds on the funds, as well as an opportunity to earn some form of rewards that would be appropriate for his interests.

I came across this statement from haulingthescoreup on another thread, and I felt that it does a wonderful job of expressing my thoughts on this subject: "And if you have a card that everyone laughs at, but it matches your need and it's helping you build a solid credit history, then it's a perfectly good card." At this point in time, this is a perfectly good card for my DH. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 15 of 17
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Don't hold your breath for a CLI from HSBC. HSBC cards serve a purpose and one purpose only and that is to help you build credit history and open doors to better cards.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

Don't hold your breath for a CLI from HSBC. HSBC cards serve a purpose and one purpose only and that is to help you build credit history and open doors to better cards.

That's a little too general.  Some people (like me) have decent limits with HSBC.  Some people don't. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.