cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER IT OR CHASE FREEDOM FOR RENT PAYMENT?

tag
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

DISCOVER IT OR CHASE FREEDOM FOR RENT PAYMENT?

i am moving into a new apartment on may 1st and they take credit card payments online for rent.im deciding on either to use my discover it or chase freedom card.which one would be better to use?i have plenty enough credit on both to use either one.my rent payment is going to be $900.00 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
nneomagold

Re: DISCOVER IT OR CHASE FREEDOM FOR RENT PAYMENT?

What are the cash back rates? I know Discover is 1%. I would go for the greater cash back offer.

Starting Score: 9/28/2013 EX 586
Checkup Score: 03/15/2014 EX 636
Current Score: 04/22/2014 TU 658

Score History
9/28/2013 EX 586, 10/30/2013 EX 610, 01/15/2014 EX 645, 02/15/2014 EX 609, 03/15/2014 EX 639

2014 Goal Score: 700 +!
Message 2 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

id say discover because you actually could get sp CLI in the future with them vs chase that most likely will not auto cli and you can't sp.

but i also love discover rewards for instant cash trade in on amazon.... oh wait i can do that with chase too... I dunno but im way jelly you can pay rent on credit for no fee!!!

Message 3 of 17
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@thatoneguy28 wrote:

i am moving into a new apartment on may 1st and they take credit card payments online for rent.im deciding on either to use my discover it or chase freedom card.which one would be better to use?i have plenty enough credit on both to use either one.my rent payment is going to be $900.00 

From what I've heard normally the fee associated with using a credit card to pay rent pretty much offsets any rewards that you may gain by using the card.  But you would have to get with the apartment manager to find out what kind of fee they charge. As far as which card would be better, I would say which ever one has the most CL and most available credit. They will both give you the same rewards at 1% for paying rent.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 4 of 17
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

i spoke with the apartment manager and they informed me that it will be no fees as long as it is set on auto pay every month.

Message 5 of 17
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

id say discover because you actually could get sp CLI in the future with them vs chase that most likely will not auto cli and you can't sp.

but i also love discover rewards for instant cash trade in on amazon.... oh wait i can do that with chase too... I dunno but im way jelly you can pay rent on credit for no fee!!!

I'm with CA, can't give objective option due to jealousy!!!

Honestly, I would personally go with Chase. If you have Chase checking, you will get a 10% bonus at the end of the year on points earned with your Freedom. Also, Chase has many more cards, so if you want a card in the future, it can't hurt to spend more with them now. My .02

Message 6 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I'm with CA, can't give objective option due to jealousy!!!

Honestly, I would personally go with Chase. If you have Chase checking, you will get a 10% bonus at the end of the year on points earned with your Freedom. Also, Chase has many more cards, so if you want a card in the future, it can't hurt to spend more with them now. My .02

oh yeah very good point about internal score with chase because of high spending and high payments getting much bigger limits and new chase cards in the future!

Message 7 of 17
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

well i do have my banking relationship with chase.i do have a checking and savings account as well as direct deposit  through my employer.i also have the chase sapphire card would that be good to use?

Message 8 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@thatoneguy28 wrote:

well i do have my banking relationship with chase.i do have a checking and savings account as well as direct deposit  through my employer.i also have the chase sapphire card would that be good to use?

CSP? I would use that over a freedom because of the 7% at year end right?

Message 9 of 17
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

i just have the regular sapphire card but i could PC that at the 1 yr mark to the CSP

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.