Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVERing Rewards !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISCOVERing Rewards !

So I have only used Discover rewards for two things: statement credit or payment at Amazon.  However, this time I decided to check if there are other uses for them and found their "instant e-certificates."  If you already know this, then you can stop reading here.  For those clueless about it, like me, should check out the offers because some seem VERY attractive.

For example, If you use $20 of your rewards to buy an Alamo Rent a Car e-certificate, you get double!  That's right, your 5% rewards become 10%.  

Not only that, but if you used the Discover portal for your rewards, in the first place, your 10% rewards instantly become 20% !!!

It's just too good.  I even contemplated writing an email to Discover, asking them to slow down, that there was no need to throw all the money my way, that they should keep some for themselves.  But, then I remember the Christmas spirit, and if these people find pleasure out of being generous, who am I curtail their fun?  Send more money my way, and I will just have to figure a way to use it... somehow...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISCOVERing Rewards !

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have only used Discover rewards for two things: statement credit or payment at Amazon.  However, this time I decided to check if there are other uses for them and found their "instant e-certificates."  If you already know this, then you can stop reading here.  For those clueless about it, like me, should check out the offers because some seem VERY attractive.

For example, If you use $20 of your rewards to buy an Alamo Rent a Car e-certificate, you get double!  That's right, your 5% rewards become 10%.  

Not only that, but if you used the Discover portal for your rewards, in the first place, your 10% rewards instantly become 20% !!!

It's just too good.  I even contemplated writing an email to Discover, asking them to slow down, that there was no need to throw all the money my way, that they should keep some for themselves.  But, then I remember the Christmas spirit, and if these people find pleasure out of being generous, who am I curtail their fun?  Send more money my way, and I will just have to figure a way to use it... somehow...

I like 20% Smiley Happy

I just wish more companies participated..

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I like 20% Smiley Happy

I just wish more companies participated..

Probably the best way for more companies to participate is showing them a lot of  participation with the current companies.  But, I don't think a lot of people know this kind of deals exist, in the first place.

Message 3 of 9
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I still dont even know how to get to it lol...I'm still trying to find it

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 4 of 9
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Ahhh..Found it. I like some of the deals! Too bad i only have like $17 in cash back lol.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 5 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think almost anywhere this quarter if you buy online, its at least 10% because of online shopping+shop discover. There is one big exception to that rule and that would be amazon :-(

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think almost anywhere this quarter if you buy online, its at least 10% because of online shopping+shop discover. There is one big exception to that rule and that would be amazon :-(

Chase Freedom has Amazon as 5% this quarter. However I hear you have to be very careful about whether it is just "fulfilled by Amazon" so not sure how much of that online mall falls into the benefits.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not meaning to crap on your thread, because YMMV, but I've looked into this in the past for the Enterprise rental certificates and the problem is that using the Discover certificates on a rental disallowed me from using other discounts, and also Enterprise limited me in the number of certificates I could use on a single rental.  So for my purposes, it worked out cheaper to just pay up, rather than use some number of Discover certificates.  But like I said, YMMV.

For me, the best redemption values continue to be restaurant gift cards (or in some cases paper certificates) at $50 for $45 of CB, so effectively 10% off on dining.

Back in the day, I could cash out $40 of CB for a $50 "Sam's Club Membership," which really just equated to a $50 Sam's/WalMart gift card.  So, 20% off of Sam's/WalMart.  Now, that was a deal worth redeeming for.

And then there was that magical weekend, many years ago, when they offerred, for a limited time, $40 Shell g/c for $20 of CB.  You better believe I cashed out every cent of CB I had saved up (which unfortunately was not much).  Ever since then, I've made sure I have $100-$150 of CB on each Discover account, just in case another such deal pops up.  Still waiting.  Smiley Frustrated

Chris.

Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Chase Freedom has Amazon as 5% this quarter. However I hear you have to be very careful about whether it is just "fulfilled by Amazon" so not sure how much of that online mall falls into the benefits.

you can get 5% on discover just not 10% like an lot of other stores. Amazon counts as online shopping :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.