cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIscover It - Should I call to recon CL?

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

DIscover It - Should I call to recon CL?

Got this card in the mail today.  It was very fast delivery but once approved online it didn't give me CL info.  I got $1K limit when I just got Chase Freedom for $4K.  Not sure if calling the back door number if I can talk them into a matching or higher limit?  Should I activate this one given the small starting limit.  I really don't want to spend years of chasing CLI if I don't have to.  Perhaps I am being too ambitious? 

Like some feedback as it's always helped up to this point.  TIA

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: DIscover It - Should I call to recon CL?

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Got this card in the mail today.  It was very fast delivery but once approved online it didn't give me CL info.  I got $1K limit when I just got Chase Freedom for $4K.  Not sure if calling the back door number if I can talk them into a matching or higher limit?  Should I activate this one given the small starting limit.  I really don't want to spend years of chasing CLI if I don't have to.  Perhaps I am being too ambitious? 

Lenders do not match CL's.  Discover offers CLI's at 90 days. I'd suggest using the card and requesting a CLI .  Discover is a conservative lender and looking at your siggy, the CL seems to be inline with your scores and other cards -exception Citi

Message 2 of 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

You're more than welcome to request and see what they say...i called when i got mine to see if i can get a higher credit line, but they told me that they want to see how i'm using the card for the first 3months and call back...you may get the same response, but as always, YMMV. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 7
Silverspy
Established Member

Lenders do not match other lenders CL, however I BOA and Chase have both denied my CLI's before in the past but when I go to recon I refered that Discover recently gave me a CLI and they just match that. But I know for a fact that Discover will not give you a CLI before 90-180 days, But if you use the card will they will reward you well. 

Message 4 of 7
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Please suggest usage pattern that will trigger nice CLI...  I am having a blast using my Barclays Reward for all my spending at this time.  Having 1K CL on Discover card means I will be paying it off every other week if I switch to that card.

BTW the packaging of the new card was impressive.  -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Please suggest usage pattern that will trigger nice CLI...  I am having a blast using my Barclays Reward for all my spending at this time.  Having 1K CL on Discover card means I will be paying it off every other week if I switch to that card.

BTW the packaging of the new card was impressive.  -Barry

Usage for CLI would be a guess on my part.  I have been lucky and getting them like clockwork.  DH received his a few months later and hasbt been so lucky- just one so far.

Message 6 of 7
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I apped for the Discover it card and got a CL of $1500.  I called back and said I was hoping for a higher CL because I wanted to take advantage of the 0% 12mo BT and the %5 categories.  The guy said I could wait 90 days and ask for a CLI, I wasn't satisfied with his answer so I called back the next day and plead my case to another customer service rep.  They said they would have someone call me back within 48h.  I got a call from someone the next day and stated the same reasons for wanting a higher CL, she asked me a few questions about spending habits and if I planned to PIF or carry a balance most of the time.  I told her I would carry a balance initially because of the 0% offer but would generally keep utilization low.  She offered to double the initial CL from $1500 to $3k.

Couldn't hurt to call, if you get a no and aren't happy call back. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.