Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT apply for Anything with CHASE

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: DO NOT apply for Anything with CHASE

Of that 1/3, how much of that balance is being carried at an intro 0% APR?  That's how I do it.  I generally carry a balance for a few months on at least one card at a time.  Around Christmas time and vacation time.  If I happen to not have an intro APR to use I carry it on a CU card with a super low fixed rate.  Carrying a balance doesn't always mean paying interest.

Message 261 of 274
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@negg wrote:

Most people pay off the balance, so they don't have to pay interest.   

I think it is also a stretch to say "most people" pay off the balance on their credit card to not have to pay interest.  I think most people here and most people with good credit and credit conscious but the "american way" is unfortunately to live in a certain amount of debt and the reason "most people" don't have a 700+ credit score is because they cannot or do not pay their credit cards in full each month and/or live beyond their means.  I think if you are talking about "most people" - again that is broad - but if you are speaking in general terms across say the US .... no, most people are not able to pay their cards in full each month to avoid paying interest.  I disagree 100% with that.

"Most People" live beyond their means and live in a certain amount of debt and average a credit score in the lower 600's .... 

Actually, here I agree with negg.   See http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-debt-statistics-1276.php

only about 1/3rd of people revolve their credit card debt, the rest PIF each month.

I am actually suprised by this... I figured it would be more then that..  I will be honest haven't read the article yet, taking your word on it.. Isn't it something like 5k is the average CC debt for a US consumer?  I am just pulling a number out of the air, but I could of sworn I read that somewhere..  Obviously it is based on your age, etc.. But aggregated to a whole, I thought it was somewhere around that figure...  Obviously I must be wrong, unless the 1/3rd that do carry debt offset the PIF people by a large marginSmiley Happy...  As stated about to head out and haven't googled my facts, so ya shady math and stats.

That link has a lot more figures, but here is what they have as different ways of looking at debt. from different sources   And $5k is one of them!

• $1,098 per card that doesn't carry a balance2
  • $1,648 per account, U.S. adults with a credit report and Social Security number3
  • $3,600 per person, U.S. resident adults4
  • $5,234 per person, excluding unused cards and store cards12
  • $5,596 per U.S. adult with a credit card5
  • $5,700 per household with credit card debt6
  • $7,743 per card that usually carries a balance2

Message 262 of 274
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@negg wrote:

I think it is also a stretch to say "most people" pay off the balance on their credit card to not have to pay interest.  I think most people here and most people with good credit and credit conscious but the "american way" is unfortunately to live in a certain amount of debt and the reason "most people" don't have a 700+ credit score is because they cannot or do not pay their credit cards in full each month and/or live beyond their means.  I think if you are talking about "most people" - again that is broad - but if you are speaking in general terms across say the US .... no, most people are not able to pay their cards in full each month to avoid paying interest.  I disagree 100% with that.

"Most People" live beyond their means and live in a certain amount of debt and average a credit score in the lower 600's .... 

Actually, here I agree with negg.   See http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-debt-statistics-1276.php

only about 1/3rd of people revolve their credit card debt, the rest PIF each month.

I am actually suprised by this... I figured it would be more then that..  I will be honest haven't read the article yet, taking your word on it.. Isn't it something like 5k is the average CC debt for a US consumer?  I am just pulling a number out of the air, but I could of sworn I read that somewhere..  Obviously it is based on your age, etc.. But aggregated to a whole, I thought it was somewhere around that figure...  Obviously I must be wrong, unless the 1/3rd that do carry debt offset the PIF people by a large marginSmiley Happy...  As stated about to head out and haven't googled my facts, so ya shady math and stats.

It depends on how the question is phrased.  Most people that actually use a credit card and hence get a bill at the end of the month do not pay the blance in full. OTOH, if you ask whether people that carry a balance on any given card represent a majority, they do not.

The difference in these apparently contradictory facts is due to the number of credit cards that are issued but are not used. Amongst cards that are used, about 35% more people will carry a balance than will pay the card in full. This is a slight decrease from the prior quarter.

http://www.aba.com/Press/Documents/12.16.14ABACreditCardMonitorFAQ.pdf

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 263 of 274
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@negg wrote:

That link has a lot more figures, but here is what they have as different ways of looking at debt. from different sources   And $5k is one of them!

• $1,098 per card that doesn't carry a balance2
  • $1,648 per account, U.S. adults with a credit report and Social Security number3
  • $3,600 per person, U.S. resident adults4
  • $5,234 per person, excluding unused cards and store cards12
  • $5,596 per U.S. adult with a credit card5
  • $5,700 per household with credit card debt6
  • $7,743 per card that usually carries a balance2

Woot As I finish my beer and get ready to head to dinner I am happy I was partially correct and not losing all my mind yetSmiley Happy..  Thanks for the quick recap, going to have to read that article in full when I get home.. Love stats!

Message 264 of 274
NRB525
Super Contributor

In the next section down, though, the more useful measure is stated:

Some 15 percent of adults -- more than 35 million people -- roll over $2,500 or more in credit card debt each month

Those are the Revolvers with a balance that is more than token. The corrollary being that 85% of adults have $2,500 or less in debt (including no CC revolver debt, and including PIF credit card users).

And, yes this group skews the entire population up to $5k+ and is the population from which BK filings emerge.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 265 of 274
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I love and hate this forum.. Was going to go across the street and get a steak, but got stuck reading multiple topics.. Smiley Sad... So staying how and drinking a few more beers and ordering a pizza vs. the COLD weatherSmiley Happy...  Plus I will save about $40 or so depending on how many drinks I would of had there

Message 266 of 274
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I love and hate this forum.. Was going to go across the street and get a steak, but got stuck reading multiple topics.. Smiley Sad... So staying how and drinking a few more beers and ordering a pizza vs. the COLD weatherSmiley Happy...  Plus I will save about $40 or so depending on how many drinks I would of had there

Don't you have an iPad or something that you could have taken with you while you ate the steak?

Message 267 of 274
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Don't you have an iPad or something that you could have taken with you while you ate the steak?

LOL I do have a smart phone, waiting for work to buy me my mackbook Pro and IPAD on their dime.. So in theory I could go and eat my steak... It is cold out though and when I go out I like to be social vs. looking at my phone in my case and looking at the ladies vs the phoneSmiley Happy... I should get out as I need to meet my spend requirement on my amex Delta for my delta miles lol....  Now I am thinking about placing that pizza order, but have had 2 beers additional here since I originally said I was leaving so save me a bit of money!

Message 268 of 274
PCR20
Regular Contributor

(Don't need to be speading any unfounded rumors.)

Starting Score: 05/12/2007 was 724 average on all 3
Current Score: 02-10-2017 EQ=839 EX=837 TU=832
Message 269 of 274
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

That thread is locked and under moderator review.

I believe the truth wasn't told there. Dunno what's going on, but I've had ZILCH problems with retail gift cards on any other cards.

There are many long time posters in this forum I respect, and they have have no problems with chase cards.

Business cards ARE NOT held to Dodd frank rules like personal cards, so realize that when you reach for the Ink.

In preparation for getting in with chase (they acquired an old account I was no longer responsible for, but it's still flagged via automated systems), I've had many convo's with back end people, including the EO. Where in the world did this new rumor come up that Chase wants to close x amounts of freedom cards (vs other kinds of cards?).

It's Christmas break, and the college crowd is out.

PS, I believe HF over a poster whose only posts in the forum was their card was shut down over $50 best buy gift card.

/end mini rant
Signature needs updating
Message 270 of 274
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.