cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

I'm going to call them tomorrow and investigate and attempt to make sense of my concerns. I will report back just in case the experience might help others on this site.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 11 of 24
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I'm going to call them tomorrow and investigate and attempt to make sense of my concerns. I will report back just in case the experience might help others on this site.

Worth a try I suppose but not sure what you will gain!   Any decent criminal business will sound very much like the best businesses, and tell you about high ratings, growing customer base, and say that most if not all of the stories you heard are either completely untrue or greatly exaggerated or were at other banks/CUs.

So, do let us know if you hear something like "Yes, actually we are having a few more problems these days and we are trying to fix it."  I would be surprised.

Message 12 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Worth a try I suppose but not sure what you will gain!   Any decent criminal business will sound very much like the best businesses, and tell you about high ratings, growing customer base, and say that most if not all of the stories you heard are either completely untrue or greatly exaggerated or were at other banks/CUs.

So, do let us know if you hear something like "Yes, actually we are having a few more problems these days and we are trying to fix it."  I would be surprised.

Yea I was thinking that as well.  I just don't know what will be accomplished with this inquiry other than "oh I have never heard that story".  Actually it may be true that the CSR you speak to may not know anything about it.

But I too am interested to hear what they will say, so do please post back.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 13 of 24
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

Fee for WD from a savings account from an ATM? How often does that even happen?  Can't you do an instant transfer via their website?

Even if it happens once I should be able to access my money when I want...

It's a trivial fee for sure, but if I'm taking money out of a network "surcharge free" ATM, there should never be a fee.  Don't tell me there's no surcharge then...it's pretty simple.  

Instant transfer to where?  Another financial institution?  Would have taken 2 days.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 14 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Fee for WD from a savings account from an ATM? How often does that even happen?  Can't you do an instant transfer via their website?

It's a trivial fee for sure, but if I'm taking money out of a network "surcharge free" ATM, there should never be a fee.  Don't tell me there's no surcharge then...it's pretty simple.  

Instant transfer to where?  Another financial institution?  Would have taken 2 days.   

I think he meant an instant transfer from your savings to your checking and then do the withdrawal....then they wouldn't charge the fee.  

But it is bizarre that you would get charged period if you are using one of their machines no matter which account you pulled it out of.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 15 of 24
Hispanic208
Established Member

For the most part, DCU has been good to me. I have my direct deposit going there and it gets credited two days early on Wednesday afternoon. I was also approved for a $10K Platinum card as well. I have been using them for a few months now. I only ran into one problem with them. About two months ago on a weekend I was dining out. I opted to pay with my DCU Card and it was declined. I felt a bit embarrassed by it and used another card. Everything was declining that night. I tried to pay a few bills online to test and they were declining.  I tried the next morning everything was fine. It was some weird glitch they had.

Message 16 of 24
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Hispanic208 wrote:

.About two months ago on a weekend I was dining out. I opted to pay with my DCU Card and it was declined. I felt a bit embarrassed by it and used another card. Everything was declining that night. I tried to pay a few bills online to test and they were declining.  I tried the next morning everything was fine. It was some weird glitch they had.

So this is an example of a story that could certainly be put in a much more negative light.  Hispanic208 refers to it as a weird glitch, and wasn't very inconvenienced beyond some embarrassment, another card came to the rescue.

On the other hand, this could be considered a major problem, weird glitches have no place in financial systems, especially as it seemed to last for some time (hours maybe?)    In some circumstances, being declined can be very bad for your reputation, or if it's the only card you are carrying and you really need to make the purchase!

Message 17 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@MountainHiker wrote:

I talked with a few people today that have a long history with DCU and in their opinion this CU has changed for the worst.I don't know if that is true but they did scare me with stories about money going missing from credit card payments and other irregular activity on the part of DCU in regard to mortgage payments.I'm getting cold feet. I heard about them on this site and don't know anything about them outside the info learned from this forum. Have any of you heard negative info about DCU? And I do mean anything.

My DH and I have been members since 2005.  I went to them after I escaped B of A.  This is our main account for banking and we do enjoy the early posting of I react deposits; the shared branch capabilities; the surcharge free/COOP ATMS; the credit of up to $5.00 if you use are charged ATM fees and the employees seem to always be friendly.  We have never had any money missing but there has been 2 times I can think of that my card was declined. The first was a system wide Visa issue and the second was when I was paying for a large purchase (flowers for our daughter's wedding) and  Visa flagged the charge.  I was obviously a little ticked at first so I called and they confirmed it was Visa- I guess they were trying to call me to confirm the purchase and obviously I was not home.  After I was verified the purchase was approved.  I have no idea why they couldnt ask the clerk but I was only delayed a few minutes.  I might not have been so happy if I was not able to reach them cause they are not open 24hrs like NFCU (which I also have).  I can think of that in one or two ways- yes, it was slightly embarrassing at first but since I normally do not buy $3,500 worth of flowers - I appreciated the security.

Just my .02. 

Message 18 of 24
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

I think he meant an instant transfer from your savings to your checking and then do the withdrawal....then they wouldn't charge the fee.  

But it is bizarre that you would get charged period if you are using one of their machines no matter which account you pulled it out of.

Ahhh gotcha.  At the time it wasn't an option.  I have since opened one but since I had a couple of ACH transfers in progress on my other main accounts, I decided to go to my DCU savings to take out some cash.  $1.50 fee shows up and I was none too happy.  Other than that, they've been fine to me...just that I'll take money out of other accounts when I visit an ATM!      

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 19 of 24
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Ok here is my opinion after speaking to DCU. Spoke to a rep today about the services offered and curious fees that dcu charge for things like atm,possible late charges,ect.Yes they do expect fees that most CUs don't charge and late fees can approach finance company rates for late charges.I'm not happy about that but not a deal breaker because I don't have any plan of paying late.What does bother me a great great deal is the feeling of poor customer service.They seem to give you the run around when you request to speak to certain departments and its almost as if they don't respect the customer enough to honor their request. After speaking to two different reps I must say they left me feeling uncomfortable with this company.I'm not saying they are a dishonest outfit or has bad products, but their customer service is not the best. And I feel its best not to accept this credit card.Really too bad because I was excited about getting my first nice credit limit account. Any way time to move on.Hope this help other posters.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.