cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

Im guessing you are not a member yet? Ive had nothing but good experience with them. I called them about a week ago about my credit card and they were nice and helpful. They even called me back the next day to see if was able to send the payment to my cc thru bofa's bill pay. I called the number in the back of my card which is the westborough branch so i dont know if that makes a difference
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 21 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Ok here is my opinion after speaking to DCU. Spoke to a rep today about the services offered and curious fees that dcu charge for things like atm,possible late charges,ect.Yes they do expect fees that most CUs don't charge and late fees can approach finance company rates for late charges.I'm not happy about that but not a deal breaker because I don't have any plan of paying late.What does bother me a great great deal is the feeling of poor customer service.They seem to give you the run around when you request to speak to certain departments and its almost as if they don't respect the customer enough to honor their request. AfteI'm not saying they are r speaking to two different reps I must say they left me feeling uncomfortable with this company.I'm not saying they are a dishonest outfit or has bad products, but their customer service is not the best. And I feel its best not to accept this credit card.Really too bad because I was excited about getting my first nice credit limit account. Any way time to move on.Hope this help other posters.

You seem to have been apprehensive about DCU from the beginning anyway, based on this thread and your other thread asking a lot of questions about them.  So its no surprise that you choose not to do business with them.  I think that by combining the rumor mill and the apprehension you felt it was not going to be a good fit for you.  Too bad you wasted a hard on that and decided not to take it.  And BTW, I haven't experienced any weird glitches at all using my card with them.  Not to say it won't happen but it hasn't.  As for the frontline csr at DCU, well how many frontline csr's are that knowledgeable and that my friend, is why we have the backdoor numbers Smiley Very Happy.  When I spoke with DCU about my card and auto loan I spoke with the loan officers who were very helpful and knowledgeable.  They called me back when they said they would and were responsive to me.

BUT....Listen....all of that is under the bridge now.

You've got a way into NFCU!!!!!!!!!  

OMG if I ever, and I mean ever, could get in there I would be so happy.  NFCU is an awesome opportunity for you so move on with so go with them......actually I am sooooo jealous right now Smiley Tongue.

Congrats on NFCU!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 22 of 24
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Ok here is my opinion after speaking to DCU. Spoke to a rep today about the services offered and curious fees that dcu charge for things like atm,possible late charges,ect.Yes they do expect fees that most CUs don't charge and late fees can approach finance company rates for late charges.I'm not happy about that but not a deal breaker because I don't have any plan of paying late.What does bother me a great great deal is the feeling of poor customer service.They seem to give you the run around when you request to speak to certain departments and its almost as if they don't respect the customer enough to honor their request. AfteI'm not saying they are r speaking to two different reps I must say they left me feeling uncomfortable with this company.I'm not saying they are a dishonest outfit or has bad products, but their customer service is not the best. And I feel its best not to accept this credit card.Really too bad because I was excited about getting my first nice credit limit account. Any way time to move on.Hope this help other posters.

You seem to have been apprehensive about DCU from the beginning anyway, based on this thread and your other thread asking a lot of questions about them.  So its no surprise that you choose not to do business with them.  I think that by combining the rumor mill and the apprehension you felt it was not going to be a good fit for you.  Too bad you wasted a hard on that and decided not to take it.  And BTW, I haven't experienced any weird glitches at all using my card with them.  Not to say it won't happen but it hasn't.  As for the frontline csr at DCU, well how many frontline csr's are that knowledgeable and that my friend, is why we have the backdoor numbers Smiley Very Happy.  When I spoke with DCU about my card and auto loan I spoke with the loan officers who were very helpful and knowledgeable.  They called me back when they said they would and were responsive to me.

BUT....Listen....all of that is under the bridge now.

You've got a way into NFCU!!!!!!!!!  

OMG if I ever, and I mean ever, could get in there I would be so happy.  NFCU is an awesome opportunity for you so move on with so go with them......actually I am sooooo jealous right now Smiley Tongue.

Congrats on NFCU!

Thank you everyone

Rhaeny

I hope no one gets the impression that I didn't want to do business with DCU. I was extremely excited about the card and membership approvals.I just could not escape the feeling that something was not quite right.didn't need to call any back door numbers because everything went ok. Maybe I was unlucky when speaking to reps but the service was not the same as dealing with chase or wells fargo.Any way please don't assume your experience will be the same as mine. And thank you for the thumbs up about NFCU. Don't know much about them just the things I've learned on this site. But I'm looking forward to the opportunity.Right now I'm trying to decide if I should take membership for now and wait till march to apply for one of their credit products. Have just one older collection falling off in march then my CR  should be clean and my scores more than likely has a chance of going into the mid 700 range. Or just go for it next month. Might have a chance for a higher limit if my CR is clean.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 23 of 24
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

DCU is a weird one. They are well known for ID verification issues -- sending document after document only to get a decline because they "didn't receive" it or it wasn't clear, even though you could call in and speak with a rep that saw it and verified they had it and could read it.

They routinely tell people they will reuse pulls only to do new hard inquiries.

"Rosefactor" is a bad one -- they do snatch backs of approvals for no obvious reason. They approve you and then two days later you get a "sorry you're declined" letter.

i also had a situation where I swear they stole money from a family member not applying it properly to her balance and ignoring all inquiries to try and either correct it or offer some explanation of why we were wrong and they were correct. We even went in Person, with documentation, and politely asked to speak with someone. They glanced at it, printed out the sheet from their screen the conflicted and just said they don't know why it's different but it can't be wrong because its "done by computer".

if you can visit in person, things seem to go smoother. Online applications seem to spook them and bring out the odd behavior.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.