Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

I talked with a few people today that have a long history with DCU and in their opinion this CU has changed for the worst.I don't know if that is true but they did scare me with stories about money going missing from credit card payments and other irregular activity on the part of DCU in regard to mortgage payments.I'm getting cold feet. I heard about them on this site and don't know anything about them outside the info learned from this forum. Have any of you heard negative info about DCU? And I do mean anything.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE A NEGATIVE OPINION OF DCU?

I don't like the fact that they charge you $1.50 to take money from Savings out of an ATM even if you're at a fee free ATM.  Other than that I haven't had any issues.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

To mountainhiker; you should rely on NFCU... would not make sense for you to join dcu at this time!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 24
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
To mountainhiker; you should rely on NFCU... would not make sense for you to join dcu at this time!

ThankIs for both your response.

Webhopper

I was approved for one of DCU's  credit products but after hearing some horror stories of payments going missing and extra fees charged and CDs rolling over against customer's wishes, it is safe to say I'm concern, and I'm questioning the wisdom of this option.My brother inlaw is now with NFCU and  there is a part of me that is starting to wonder if that fact might not be a sign.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 4 of 24
toppers555
Established Contributor

I wouldn't do a morgage if they don't have a local branch besides that always keep a paper trail

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 5 of 24
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I've never heard of them until this site too.  But sounds not soo good.  1.50 fee at a free ATM and all the other stuf metions sounds like a pass to me.

Message 6 of 24
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Rates are tough to beat for a public CU, good credit products.  Decent fringe benefits, but it's not like it's the best and only CU.  NFCU is great, and I don't you'd find many people that would pass up them for another CU.

Just remember, you're only going to hear the negative stories about different businesses.  I can't imagine money going missing is the norm, or they wouldn't have the high ratings they do.  Fee for WD from a savings account from an ATM? How often does that even happen?  Can't you do an instant transfer via their website?

I'm not a customer of theirs, but I'm considering it, so anything I know is still just surface.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

I am a member of DCU and they have been good to me.  I can call or email and they are quickly responsive.  Have I heard bad things about them?  Yep, sure have, but the only experience that counts is MY experience with them.  

You hear bad things about every single bank, CU and CC but in the end you have to sort through all of the bs and make your own decision.  Some of your decisions pan out and others don't.

I just read a freakin horror story about how USAA closed down someone's accounts cutting them off from their cash for 30 plus days.  I had USAA on the radar for a future CC with them.  Does it make me wonder?  Yep and I will just take what I learned about that person's situation and make sure that I don't do some of the things that triggered this AA.  But I'm not writing them off because I've heard some bad news about them.   Besides, I think sometimes you don't get the full story anyway.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 8 of 24
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

I am a member of DCU and they have been good to me.  I can call or email and they are quickly responsive.  Have I heard bad things about them?  Yep, sure have, but the only experience that counts is MY experience with them.  

You hear bad things about every single bank, CU and CC but in the end you have to sort through all of the bs and make your own decision.  Some of your decisions pan out and others don't.

I just read a freakin horror story about how USAA closed down someone's accounts cutting them off from their cash for 30 plus days.  I had USAA on the radar for a future CC with them.  Does it make me wonder?  Yep and I will just take what I learned about that person's situation and make sure that I don't do some of the things that triggered this AA.  But I'm not writing them off because I've heard some bad news about them.   Besides, I think sometimes you don't get the full story anyway.

I've heard of NFCU doing that, never USAA.  It was on this forum that a post about NFCU shut everything down.

Message 9 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

I've heard of NFCU doing that, never USAA.  It was on this forum that a post about NFCU shut everything down.

Yea it was on a different forum...the one nobody wants to mention.  It was just unbelievable what happened to this person.  I also beleive though that this person was not doing anything wrong at all, its just the way that USAA perceived her activity.  It had to do with kitting.  But heck some of the activities she did I have done myself but not with large amounts over $1K.  I think she had some transfers that totaled over $10K in a month and that was all and they shut her down completely.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.