tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Re: DONT TRUST BofA

@Anonymous wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

runs and hides in a cornerSmiley Sad

Point taken.  Smiley Surprised

My previous post should read "I don't work for a bank.  I have noticed that all banks take fraud monitoring steps to protect themselves and their customers.  Sometimes it's inconvenient."

Smiley Very Happy

Weeeelll I DO work for BoA in the fraud department so I am the one responsible for shutting down your cards! ::insert evil laugh here:: jkjk!! But I really do work for them...

I understand the frustration with being blocked from using your card. But its all in business. BoA has consistently had the lowest losses for fraud compared to other banks, and that is due in part to us not allowing your card to stay open when we suspect fraud because we are scared you might be upset or embarrassed. If it was your money, would you want someone to use it all up and THEN call you after the fact?? As far as travel, we note it on your account and we try to get contact numbers and dates so we know what to expect and can reach you if needed. But a high amount of fraud occurs overseas, even when you have your physical card. So if stuff starts looking funny, we decline your charge to prompt you to call in to verify and we reset it and you are on your way, upon which you should be fine unless something else weird comes in. But for some reason, people stand there continuing to swipe there card for literally 30 attempts, which REALLY looks fraudulent and NEVER call, they don't return our calls to them, and then when we do speak to them they are so rude, we can;t get the info we need to help them in the first place.  Its not bout your credit score, its not about your payment, its about  we are not going to lose money on fraudlent charges that we may or may not be able to chargeback. Plain and simple. The first time I am declined, I am on the phone with my credit card. That's just common sense. They are multiple numbers on the back of the card even a collect one. It's 2012. Most people have a cell phone. Or the business you are in has a cell phone. Or the hotel you are staying at has a phone you can call us with. We even have a website you can do verify the charges on and you are prompted to do so when you try to log into your online banking.

I am not excusing the actions of BoA. I know it can be inconvienent. Just trying to explain a little. For every customer we upset, there are atleast 1 or 2 customers who tell us a story about how they had a horrible experience with fraud or identity theft or whatever and that they are so thankful, and would rather we block and they have to call than for us to allow it through. We can't please them all....

The less we lose, the better my bonus is Smiley Very Happy

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

My previous post should read "I don't work for a bank.  I have noticed that all banks take fraud monitoring steps to protect themselves and their customers.  Sometimes it's inconvenient."

Smiley Very Happy

A very good point indeed!

BoA has shut down my card due to fraudulent activity (really fraudulent) a couple of times over the years-- they discovered it and shut it down before I even knew about it. Both were overseas transactions that flagged them. Additionally, my Costco Amex, my USAA Amex, and my NFCU MC have all been hit with fraudulent charges over the years. I think I'd rather risk a little inconvenience and/or embarassment (I don't really think it's embarassing, but I can see how some people might find it so) than to let potentially fraudulent charges pile up. If it's me, all I have to do is verify my identity and my access is restored. If it's a crook... well, both mine & the lender's damages are at least somewhat mitigated by them pulling the plug.

Disclaimer: I don't work for a bank/lender either.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

A very good point indeed!

BoA has shut down my card due to fraudulent activity (really fraudulent) a couple of times over the years-- they discovered it and shut it down before I even knew about it. Both were overseas transactions that flagged them. Additionally, my Costco Amex, my USAA Amex, and my NFCU MC have all been hit with fraudulent charges over the years. I think I'd rather risk a little inconvenience and/or embarassment (I don't really think it's embarassing, but I can see how some people might find it so) than to let potentially fraudulent charges pile up. If it's me, all I have to do is verify my identity and my access is restored. If it's a crook... well, both mine & the lender's damages are at least somewhat mitigated by them pulling the plug.

Disclaimer: I don't work for a bank/lender either.

Alright guy,

You view the world with the glass half full Smiley Wink.

But seriously, I actually understand that banks need to take certain measure against fraudulent charges, pulling the plug being one of them. However, as always, there has to be a line. Of course this "line" would be subjective, but individuals shouldn't over react to a supposed solution to the worlds fastest growing crime.

Message 23 of 29
frogfan12
Established Contributor

In response to posts that were responding to what I posted about BOA, I'd have to say that I disagree. And that some of you act like my head was under the sand and I don't know how to look on the back of a card to call in. The point is that I could not call in or I would have. I'm not an idiot. I still stick by my statement that they're horrible. Regardless of how rampant fraud is, they should never have cancelled my card when I notified them prior to the fact that I was traveling. That was a risk they should have taken. My card was suspended for using it in Spain after notification but my friend's debit card was stolen and did they suspend her card due to "suspicious activity"? Nope, they sure didn't. They let the frauds go on and buy gas and all sorts of random things. That story alone is enough to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth about BOA.

In reference to my second trip abroad, I could not make payments to BOA because the account disappeared online. I could only view my checking/savings accounts and 1 of 2 credit cards. It was BOA's mistake, hence their profuse apologies and reversal of charges that caused me to go overlimit. 

Instead of placing the blame on people, maybe you should just read their story for what it is: the truth. BOA has terrible fraud guesses and gets it wrong practically every time. If someone says they're going abroad, they should not question someone buying a bus ticket. They instead need to question activity that is truly fraudulent, whether it is domestic or abroad.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 24 of 29
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Yeah bank of america cant be trusted there liars.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright guy,

You view the world with the glass half full Smiley Wink.

But seriously, I actually understand that banks need to take certain measure against fraudulent charges, pulling the plug being one of them. However, as always, there has to be a line. Of course this "line" would be subjective, but individuals shouldn't over react to a supposed solution to the worlds fastest growing crime.

Who are you calling "guy"? Smiley Tongue

...said, LilMirth as she fluffs her pink, ruffled jammies, and shakes her not quite closed fist in the air, while letting her nails dry. Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogfan12 wrote:

My card was suspended for using it in Spain after notification but my friend's debit card was stolen and did they suspend her card due to "suspicious activity"? Nope, they sure didn't. They let the frauds go on and buy gas and all sorts of random things. That story alone is enough to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth about BOA.

Since it's a debit card, it's her money that's being lost, not the bank's. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Message 27 of 29
frogfan12
Established Contributor

In any event, it's shady behavior. Whether it's her money or the bank's money or Warren Buffet's money.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogfan12 wrote:

In any event, it's shady behavior. Whether it's her money or the bank's money or Warren Buffet's money.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. But I'm sure all banks have different standards for dealing with CC and debit issues. Plus they can't just shut down a debit card as easily, since it's your money. A credit card? They can shut down if they feel like it, since it's not actually your money.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.