cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DROP a Credit Card to Increase Score?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: DROP a Credit Card to Increase Score?

Sounds like you have a store card--good for you! I still can't find the original source that says that everyone should have one store or gas card, but it seems to be the conventional wisdom by now.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DROP a Credit Card to Increase Score?

Maybe you should look into the BB store card when you get ready for your TV.  They just had 48 mos same as cash. I took em up on a dishwasher and Xmas at 18 mos same as. Just don't go over 90% on any one card, that's a max out and it will hurt you as badly as a collection.  the store and gas cards come into play with the mix of credit.  IF you can make yours ideal, go for it.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok confused here, can somebody help me out.

I have 3 credit cards 1. first premier limit $350 with $0 bal.  2.  Capital one limit $750 with $0 bal, and 3.  Wamu $3000 limit with $1700 bal.  I can't pay the wamu off yet should I just leave it alone and work on it?  Get anohter card to show more credit with less usage?  What is the best course of action my ficos are 573, 612, and 663.  Trying to get them as high as possible after my BK.
Message 13 of 15
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ok confused here, can somebody help me out.

Never EVER max out your cards! I put $1000 on my BoA Visa with a $1500 limit. I lost 14 pts that day! I had the $1000 put back on and guess what? My score went back up 14 pts. That was a huge hit!
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok confused here, can somebody help me out.

pavetim wrote:
I have 3 credit cards 1. first premier limit $350 with $0 bal.  2.  Capital one limit $750 with $0 bal, and 3.  Wamu $3000 limit with $1700 bal.  I can't pay the wamu off yet should I just leave it alone and work on it?  Get anohter card to show more credit with less usage?  What is the best course of action my ficos are 573, 612, and 663.  Trying to get them as high as possible after my BK.

Work on geting the WaMu down. They will be generous with your CLIs if you only keep them paid and more than min.  How old are your cards?  I'd D6 the first premie ASAP.  Not only do you probably have an annual fee but a monthly maintenance fee as well.  Try Household Bank.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.