Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW's Amex PRG 50k MR invitation.

tag
tk_0014
Established Member

DW's Amex PRG 50k MR invitation.

Well, DW Just got a mail offer for the Premier Rewards Gold with 50K MR after 1k spend. I really would like her to take it, but we rarely fly, so the 3x reward wouldn't really be much use, but 2x on gas and grocieries could be. Also, hitting the 30K spend on it would take a real effort, since that is approaching half our household income.

We could probably fly for once a year to visit family instead of road tripping, and it may pay to use MR for that.

I currently use the BCE for a few bills, groceries and gas, but with no AF, it wouldnt hurt to put it through the new PRG instead.  Next year I've been planning to PC to BCP, but if the MR are worth more than straight 3/2 or 6/3 percent cashback, I may be better off in the long run keeping the 175 AF and forgetting the BCP.

So I'd like some points of view here. Thanks!

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: DW Amex PRG

You have to do the math on which card would give you the best return. It sounds like you know that it would be difficult for you to meet the 30k spend to make the AF worth it. I think you have to either choose cash back or points for travel if you have limited spend. You could always keep it for a year to get the bonus since I believe there is no AF the first year. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 6
tk_0014
Established Member

Yeah, No AF the first year.

It seems that MR points are redeemable for gift cards and other bonuses, as well as travel. I've never had any cards with Amex points, so im not exactly sure how that works. Does anybody know what the value of 50k MR points is?

There seems to be a lot of people keeping the PRG for the first year and chickening out on the AF and cancelling or PCing to another card. Cashback seems simpler, but it also seems like MR points are worth more than cash?

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 3 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

MR points are worth more than 1 cent per point only when you transfer them to loyalty programs. If you fly Delta, AA, or UA, the points will be really helpful. If you play the cards right, 50k points will give you 2 round trip tickets. Even if you fly only once a year, it's still worth it IMO.

Message 4 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: DW's Amex PRG 50k MR invitation.

@tk_0014 wrote:

So I'd like some points of view here. Thanks!

Here's what I would do.

Apply for the PR Gold, since you have nothing to lose.  With first year fee waived and 50K MR points, it's a small matter whether or not you meet the $30K spend for the tail end of the bonus.

If your spending doesn't justify the $175 fee, then request to downgrade to the Sr Green for $35, which allows you to keep them all as full MR points.  Then, apply for a Blue for 10K MR bonus with no annual fee, if you still want to earn MR points and find value in their transferability.

Otherwise, just cancel the account and enjoy your free flights!  

Message 5 of 6
TM82
Regular Contributor

Re: DW's Amex PRG 50k MR invitation.

I'm not a fan of MR points as much as UR points. My advice, take the offer, get your 50k points, evaluate at the end of the free year, but don't feel any shame in canceling before you get the AF. Plus it'll allow you to get another offer in the future.

Between the excise tax that Amex charges while Chase eats, the limited amount of preferred partners for me (Delta miles stink and AA is not as convenient for me), and their big marketing push being '50k can get you $500 in gift cards!' just devalues the value of MR points in my eyes.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.