Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Driver Cards for a Student

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Daily Driver Cards for a Student

Hi all,

I've posted on here before but now that I have added a CSP to my arsenal I decided I would check in again and get some more great ideas from all of you. So my situation:

- 21, College Student, working part time, 20-30k income

- Current cards: CSP (just opened), Citi DC (2/2016), Chase Freedom (6/2017). Combined SL - $20k.

I normally spend $3-500 per month on gas, food, and assorted shopping/purchases. I also pay $4-5k per year for my share in tuition, which can be paid via credit card with no fee. I have been running all of this through my DC to earn the cashback rewards, as I have no plans to travel in the near future and would much prefer cashback/giftcards.

I just opened the CSP to earn the signup bonus, but I can't figure out whether cashback wise I am better using my Freedom/CSP combo, or just sticking to DC and Freedom when the category is in my favor. I wouldn't mind splitting spend on all the cards, but I would prefer to keep it all in one family so that redeeming rewards is easier. So what would you do? Run everything through DC/Freedom, or stick with CSP/Freedom and sock drawer DC? I'll take any help I can get, if you have any questions for me, let me know and I can answer.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Daily Driver Cards for a Student

It seems you have spent quite a bit time here and know the credit maze.  Then the Chase cards are good for your to optimize.

For the minor in my family, I just gave the Citi DC, Chase FU or the BA PR card.  He does not care what card to use and optimize.  Just different people.....

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's Uber credit card seems to target millennials.

4% back on dining
3% travel - sure it's not a CSR or Amex Platinum, but the card has no annual fee
2% back on most online gateways

Best perk imo is the Phone Protection coverage

Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just opened the CSP to earn the signup bonus, but I can't figure out whether cashback wise I am better using my Freedom/CSP combo, or just sticking to DC and Freedom when the category is in my favor. I wouldn't mind splitting spend on all the cards, but I would prefer to keep it all in one family so that redeeming rewards is easier. So what would you do? Run everything through DC/Freedom, or stick with CSP/Freedom and sock drawer DC? I'll take any help I can get, if you have any questions for me, let me know and I can answer.

Thanks in advance!

Ignoring things such  as easier redeeming and lack of near-term travel plans, mathematically it comes down to how you would redeem the UR points earned on the freedom/CSP.    If you use that at 1c per point, then you obviously optimize by using the Freedom and CSP in their categories and the DC for everything else.    If on the other hand you value UR at 2+c per point (as some here might), then you don't use the DC at all, Freedom and CSP in their categories and either for everthing else

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you say you like cashback, the answer is easy and obvious. Use your freedom on the category spend and the DC on everything else. That makes things easy and gives you the maximum cashback.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do you think I should just keep the CSP, use it for the bonus, and then put it away?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't travel, then the card is pointless for you. It works best when you have the freedom and freedom unlimited to earn a lot of UR points and then use the CSP to get the bonus in the travel portal or to transfer points to airlines or hotels. As a straight cashback card which is what you are using it for, it's not that good. I wouldn't close it, but instead keep it for a year and when the annual fee is going to hit, PC it to either the FU or no fee sapphire.

Also I would look into the Barclays Uber card. Seems that it checks all the boxes for most college students. I just got the card, but I'm very excited about it.
Message 7 of 9
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So do you think I should just keep the CSP, use it for the bonus, and then put it away?

The $95 AF is waived for the first year only, so if you don't travel, that's a net negative of $95 every year from year 2 onwards. If I were you I'd PC it to something else, maybe the Freedom Unlimited since you already have the Freedom. 

Also third vote for the Barclays Uber, it's become my daily driver now. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Ignoring things such  as easier redeeming and lack of near-term travel plans, mathematically it comes down to how you would redeem the UR points earned on the freedom/CSP.    If you use that at 1c per point, then you obviously optimize by using the Freedom and CSP in their categories and the DC for everything else.    If on the other hand you value UR at 2+c per point (as some here might), then you don't use the DC at all, Freedom and CSP in their categories and either for everthing else

I’m with the others. Do what’s needed for the bonus and before the AF comes PC it to a different product. I also say get the Uber card. It fits your needs. Use that for all restaurant purchases, use the unlimited for 5% categories, and use the Citi DC for everything else. Simple way to maximize. Get that cash back. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.