cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Points: Ways to Overcome Chase New Recon Policy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Data Points: Ways to Overcome Chase New Recon Policy?

What happens when you get told to call for verification? Like when I apped for Discover it told me to call them back right away, same with my second Chase card.
Message 31 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, just app'd for the CSP & got the we need more info, if approved, you will receive your card within 7-10 days.  Then the 30 day email message.  But I do have 13 new account in the past 2 yrs & new car acct.  They can only see 11 of those new accts.  Seems if you pif and only one is reporting a balance, they shouldn't take issue with it.  It was on top of my list.  I will probably wait it out.  If I have to wait 17 months to app again, I will.   Grats to your sister!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just apped for the IHG as well and got the same message.
Message 33 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is definitely cracking down on us!  Smiley Sad

Message 34 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'll call tomorrow and if I don't get approved not a big deal. I'm not a churner and I only plan on canceling 3 cards next year, two of which I've had for 5 years so I'm not worried.
Message 35 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know a lot of people hate the term "free money" but I just found out we might be possibly taking some of the kids "friends" on one of our trips as well. I'll take all the points I can get.
Message 36 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might call.  Not sure.   Not a churner either.  I was just closing those good for nothing cards.  I did research the cards I want so I don't make a mistake.  Would love to get away right now.  Hubby is in HVAC. FL this time of year is next to impossible to get away.  But I do make sure I put everything on my cards now.  How's CO in February?lol

Message 37 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in FL too! Yeah we pretty much do our vacations in the winter..best time to get away because it gets so congested down here.
Message 38 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems a little less traffic since school is out.  

Message 39 of 63
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Sometimes people can be too hasty to call recon if not instantly approved. Give it time. 7-10 days isn't always a denial. Even if you don't call they are reviewing your info. If you go with the process instead of pushing for an instant decision it can work in your favor.

Not everything can be "overcome". Policies are policies and underwriting is underwriting. No need to make it more complicated than it is. If your profile supports approval you'll get it. If you have a ton of new accounts maybe you won't.

I actually agree with this approach. For years people would immediately pick up the phone and ask for reconsideration versus just letting the process unfold. I say that as someone who's been one of those people seeking an immediate answer (instant gratification). There are always exceptions but I think calling only draws additional attention and scrutiny to ones' credit file. 

That's all I was saying. No, it may not make the difference between approval or not but it surely could. I love this forum and the info it provides but it usually encourages a knee-jerk "call recon!" approach if not instantly approved. The point is that sometimes just letting the system do its thing can work out. Sometimes it makes no difference. Really, who knows, unless we work for Chase we can't say what the best approach is.

I just think that people should focus a little less on how to "overcome" policies...if you aren't constantly opening/closing accounts, if you don't have 20 recent inqs, if you maintain your accounts well....you will probably be fine! Not just Chase, but all lenders feel the same way about tons of recent accounts. It signals risk, period. No one is immune to that, though thicker files withstand more but it's not immunity from it. Again, the effect of a forum often causes people to forget that you still can't go crazy with accounts and still expect easy approvals (or approvals at all).

Instead of always wondering how you can skate the line and still "overcome" a policy, how about just calming down on apps and managing what you have? That will go much further for you than pushing for borderline approvals (ending in a 500 credit limit at 22.99% much of  the time anyway). This isn't directed at anyone specific in the thread but just a general point. I have to take this advice myself, hence no apps anytime soon (probably not for at least a year) because I did open and close a few things in 2013/2014 and want my report to "settle down". 

Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.