Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day late on Kohl's Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Day late on Kohl's Credit Card

I was busy getting ready for a friend visiting from out of state, and then remembered about my Kohl's card and went online the day it was due to pay it, it was only 1 PM. As I make the payment, I get a little suprise, they don't process payments after 3 PM EDT, so the payment would process the next day, argh. Maybe I should of gone to the store, but I clicked pay anyway.

So now there's a $29 late fee. I don't mind, my punishment for waiting up to the the last minute.

QUESTION IS, WHEN DO THEY REPORT YOU?

Anyone know Kohl's recent practice on reporting Late Fees that effect your Credit Score? Again, due date was 9/11, paid at 1pm, but recieved on the 12th. Statement from 8/17 (what they call Cycle Date), so the payment was atleast made 26-27 days after that date, or 1 day after due date. So there's no chance they can report me as 30 days late, right? When do the 30 days technically start counting from, after the due date?O

So I'm basically worried about my score

PAST PROBLEM TOO:

I may call anyway to try to have the late payment removed and double check if they reported me. Though, I did have a recent issue last time I used the card. When setup my online account to pay online, which I did, on time, and I got a new statement that was even more. They said there was a problem processing the payment and charged me a bounced check fee, so something was wrong with my bank info in their system.

I asked over the phone what it was typed in, like my bank account number, to know what the exact problem was so it would not repeat. She said it started with 10, it's suppose to be 00 at the start. I would have never typed 10, and when you type in your account number, you can see it, and requested twice. So it seemed impossible for me to make a mistake like that. I didn't argue since they said no credit reporting, and they said the bounced fee could not be waived no matter what, even though I think they had some computer error with my info.

Can that little issue hurt me in trying to ask for this late fee to be waived?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jackg
Established Contributor

Re: Day late on Kohl's Credit Card

QUESTION IS, WHEN DO THEY REPORT YOU?

Anyone know Kohl's recent practice on reporting Late Fees that effect your Credit Score? Again, due date was 9/11, paid at 1pm, but recieved on the 12th. Statement from 8/17 (what they call Cycle Date), so the payment was atleast made 26-27 days after that date, or 1 day after due date. So there's no chance they can report me as 30 days late, right? When do the 30 days technically start counting from, after the due date?O

So I'm basically worried about my score

TimothyB,

You're assumption is correct, they can't report you 30 days late until you are, so you are OK from that angle, but CCC's live on late fees. Good luck but I doubt they will waive the charge.

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 2 of 11
pattycake
Established Contributor

I paid Wal Mart two days after the due date, but not the statement date, and got assessed a late fee.  I called CS and told them I had computer problems and could not sign in, and they waived it for me. 

So never say never!!

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 3 of 11
GregB
Valued Contributor

30-day late means 30 days after the due date. You were 1 day late.

You get to pay the late fee but you would not be reported as late to the CR.

As far as the other issue:

When I set up a CC to do a EFT payment, I always do the first payment as a small payment WAY early. Then I look at the CC online to see that they show the payment made. Then I look at the bank statement online to be sure the payment came out of the bank account. If there is a problem then you have lots of time before the due date.  

My bank was bought by another bank 2 years ago. The purchasing bank did lots of real estate loans so they were just taken over by the FDIC and transferred to another bank. After each of those changes, I "tested" some payments again, just to be sure. Better to be paranoid then sorry.

Message 4 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

30-day late means 30 days after the due date. You were 1 day late.

You get to pay the late fee but you would not be reported as late to the CR.

As far as the other issue:

When I set up a CC to do a EFT payment, I always do the first payment as a small payment WAY early. Then I look at the CC online to see that they show the payment made. Then I look at the bank statement online to be sure the payment came out of the bank account. If there is a problem then you have lots of time before the due date.  

My bank was bought by another bank 2 years ago. The purchasing bank did lots of real estate loans so they were just taken over by the FDIC and transferred to another bank. After each of those changes, I "tested" some payments again, just to be sure. Better to be paranoid then sorry.

+1

It's not paranoia. It is proper procedure.

Message 5 of 11
Macroman
Regular Contributor

Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they're not out to get you.

I think with Kohl's the consequences will be minimal. They can't report you late for 1 day and they are unlikely to take AA on the first offense. Most store cards don't want to dis' their customers if they can avoid it.

Pay your visa 1 day late and watch your rate zoom to 29.9%.

Message 6 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you made your payment at 1 p.m., and their cut-off is 3 p.m., where's the problem? If I'm reading this right, you beat the deadline. (quick advice: set up automatic bill payments for the day before the due date, so that if you're hit by a bus and in the hospital, your bills are taken care of)

Sorry if I misread your post Smiley Sad, but right now, you look OK. And you definitely don't have a reportable 30-day late.

edited to correct the 3 vs 30 day thing.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-18-2009 08:02 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have mentioned, I'm on PDT, the cut off was 3PM EDT. So at 1 to 1:10 PM I already missed it.

Glad to know they won't report me, I'll see about giving them call about the late fee.

Message 8 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
If you made your payment at 1 p.m., and their cut-off is 3 p.m., where's the problem? If I'm reading this right, you beat the deadline. (quick advice: set up automatic bill payments for the day before the due date, so that if you're hit by a bus and in the hospital, your bills are taken care of)

Sorry if I misread your post Smiley Sad, but right now, you look OK. And you definitely don't have a reportable 3-day late.

He's probably in California, or someplace West Coast.  3 PM EDT is noon cutoff for PDT customers.

OOPS!  Read posts, replied, didn't see previous reply first.  Sorry for the dupe!

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 09-18-2009 10:41 PM
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they submit to the CRAs dispute it on that it's not 30 days and that's it will look on the credit report and is flse information , provide a stement and proof pof when the payment was made, someone needs to make a issuse to stop this abusive practice and it was the core problem with UD
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.