Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day to day reward credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Day to day reward credit card

Hey guys, I've been lurking around for some times now and finally decided to sign up to seek for some advice. I'm just wondering what you guys think would be a great reward card for everyday purchases. Of with the rewards being use towards hotels/flight. I have the citi AA card due to its sign up bonus and I love its benefits (priority check-in/boarding and free bag) which I only use when I'm flying with AA or oneworld. I also have the chase priority club (couldn't let pass the 80k bonus xD) which I hardly use unless I'm staying at their hotels and the 1 free night a year is awesome.

The card that I'm using as of right now is the no annual fee capital one venture one (yellow one) for my everyday purchase and I'm not liking it very much because you can't redeem the points for ticket/hotels unless you have enough points to cover the whole price. 

I also have Chase Freedom which I only take advantage of their 5% cash back categories.

I have heard/read about Chase Sapphire Preferred and Amex Starwood Preferred guest being a great go-to card. What do you guys think?

My annual spending is around 15k/year. I tend to travel around twice a year. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Day to day reward credit card

I wouldnt say SPG its a day to day rewards card. But if i had to choose id go with CSP
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 7
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
I wouldnt say SPG its a day to day rewards card. But if i had to choose id go with CSP

I'd agree in that CSP is a better day to day reward card if you don't want to be tied to any single airline or hotel chain.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 3 of 7
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Chase Checking + CSP + Chase Freedom = Chase Trifecta

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't you need a chase checking account also to be clarify for the chase trifecta?

Btw, what's the usual waiting period after your last application with chase? Lets say you applied for a card on Jan 1st. How long would you wait till you apply for another chase card?

Message 5 of 7
iloverewards
Valued Member

I have the capital one venture and I did some math last night. if you spend at least $246 a month, then that would cover the AF. You more than meet this requirement. Have you considered the cap one venture? I agree that the 1.25 miles per dollar you're getting witht he ventureone is probably not the best way to get travel rewards. I like using teh venture as my every day rewards card b/c I get 2 points for every dollar everywhere. I'm not that experienced yet and I just use my CSP for dining and travel so I am still experimenting which is the best for me... maybe both? Smiley Happy I like the flexibility of having two different systems.

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 6 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I guess it depends what is meant by "day to day" spending.

I use Fidelity Amex for this (and Priceline Visa is another as good/better choice, just don't have it).  These give 2% back on everything, so use them for all "non-category" spending (i.e. purchases that aren't covered with bigger bonuses by another card).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.