Did you mean: 

Dead Cards? Close or Leave Open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dead Cards? Close or Leave Open?

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alrighty so i have restructured my credit cards significantly recently and i have a couple of cards that i feel are useless and im not sure if i should cancel. 

1. Fingerhut. I think i have a $1,000 limit. I have never used the credit, not once. Honestly i dont even remember opening the thing! It Is one of my older lines of credit.

2. Capital one secured. This is my first and oldest credit card. Limit has, and apparently will always be $750 as they dont do product transfers or CLI on secured cards. There is an annual fee on this card. I never ever use it but it is my oldest. 

3. NCSECU- This is a local credit union card. Again, one of my older ones. The limit sits at $1,000 as i dont want to waste a HP on it cause i never use it. No annual fee.

4. Wells Fargo- My 2nd credit card ever. Currently has a $3200 limit. No fee on it. Honestly dont really use it but just wanted to see what you guys think.

My current cards that i do use are the Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Saphirre Preferred-Amex Blue Card, Amex Gold.

Thanks in advance!

Just to piggy back, never worrying about closing your "oldest" cards because of their age. They stay on your credit reports for up to 10 years, so they continue to count towards you average age of accounts long after. 

As long as closing them doesn't hurt your overall utilization, I don't see a reason to keep any of them open. Knowing from your other post that you have 33K with Chase alone, that's probably not going to be a factor either. 

I've closed 10 cards this year alone, and will be closing several more over the next 5-6 months. Goodbye Amex PRG, Amex ED, Lowe's, Amazon Store card, and Chevron Visa. 

See thats why I enjoy this forum. I had the same questions about this dying Cap1. 

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.