Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Citi default rate

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Dealing with Citi default rate

I have a Citi Thankyou Preferred card, had it for several years. About two years ago I had a bad month and some late payments, including one to Citi. They bumped me to nearly 29.99% default/penalty rate, and my good payments on theirs and other accounts have earned me almost 1% reduction in the two years since. 

The non-penalty rate on this account is the best rate on any of my cards, and it's the best CL as well, so I'd like to keep it going. But having looked at the difference in interest, it's definitely not a card I can use anymore. 

I've asked in secure messages on their website (was told "you will be reviewed every 6 months and might get more than 1/4 of 1% reduction") and called the customer service line (mostly the same response). 

Has anyone had success getting a default rate reduced noticeably with Citi? Suggestions or recommendations beyond "just wait?"

For now, I've paid off the penalty rate balance and then some, and am paying above my minimum to get it cleared out. Until I feel more thanked than spanked by my Thank You card, I won't be using it. 

Thanks all.

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: default interest rates

I've been on default rate or thereabouts with Citi for almost 2 years, thanks to a late payment in 2012. Well, they've reduced it by 0.75% in the past six months but it's still 15.5 above my regular purchase rate from before the late payment. 

I've asked via website message and phone to the card CS number, and have been told "you might get a lower rate every 6 months." At .25%/6mo it'll take 30 years to get back to a usable rate. 

I paid down the 28%+ amounts and will just stop using the card indefinitely. At least it helps with utilization that way. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 1 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealing with Citi default rate

yeah depending what is goinng with the rest of your cards I would just close this one or cut it up and let them close it for non activity.

Message 3 of 8
blondy250
Established Contributor

5 year old thread alert.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 4 of 8
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Sorry. I was diligently searching the boards before starting a new thread, but not diligently checking post dates. I'll be more careful going forward. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 8
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

So I'll bump to provide an update... 

I've been in default-rate recovery with Citi for two years, got a half percent reduction in the past year after jumping 16% two years ago. I tried online secure messaging in December, and then a phone call after I paid off the default and advance rate balances (had an extra payment go in a year or so ago when I couldn't really spare the money), neither willing to budge. 

Last Friday I sent a GW email to Mr Linville's public email address, briefly explaining my history and my circumstances for the late payment. I got a personal voicemail this morning from an EO rep acknowledging my request and improved payment history, and informing me that I would be returned to the normal variable rate... which is a 15% reduction based on current Prime Rates. 

I'm not going to run out and max the card out or anything, but I feel good about having it back to a livable rate, and not as eager to get a BT card anymore. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 7 of 8
eagle2013
Established Contributor

congrats! Wtg!!! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.