Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with old cards after credit improves

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with old cards after credit improves

Ok, so.... About 2 years ago i started on the journey to work on my credit.  Starting from a score of 600 i was able to raise my scores to around 750 for all with no baddies.  I was just approved for an AmEx BCP for @$3600(haven't gotten the card yet to see if i can 3x) and I also have a discover IT(CLI to 6k tonight from $3.2k via online) and a Sallie Mae WMC($3200 requested CLI tonight,  48 hr msg).  My question is that I also have 3 capital one cards that i got about 1 year ago when i was rebuilding. One is a secured card with a $500 limit.  The other 2 are platinum card, one with a limit of $750 and the other with a limit of $2500.  I just contacted CS to try to get a PC to the QS card and all they would offer me was the QS1 card with an annual fee.  I didn't accept the updrage just do to the simple fact that i thought i should have been offered an upgrade to the QS with no annual fee. These cards will never be in my wallet as long as i have the Prime cards that i do now, especially being that i have 0% apr for over a year with all 3 prime cards i have at the moment.    So, my questions is:  Do i cancel these cards before the AF comes around?  I can qualify for just about any card i want with my scores and i know this will affect my AAoA 10 years down the road but does it really matter that much?  Do i try to wait it out to see if I will get a QS offer?  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealing with old cards after credit improves

realistically the platinum cards are only a year old so you would lost about a month of AAoA if you open no new accounts between now and then.. and AAoA only is what 15% of the score? nothing i would stress about.

i couldn't get crap with my platinum so i closed it and guess what? 5 months later they gave me a venture and QS. imagine that lol. sometimes you have to ditch the dead weight to get what you want. capital one is very notorious for keeping you in that subprime category if you keep the subprime cards open for some reason unless you wanna take years to get their good ones

i would ditch the $500 secured too and get your money back. you grew out of it so move on Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 13
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I agree. Cut 'em loose.

Message 3 of 13
Chris679
Established Contributor

Get your deposit back and ditch any AF card unless it is worth the fee. Maybe these cards were at one time but not any more.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

realistically the platinum cards are only a year old so you would lost about a month of AAoA if you open no new accounts between now and then.. and AAoA only is what 15% of the score? nothing i would stress about.

i couldn't get crap with my platinum so i closed it and guess what? 5 months later they gave me a venture and QS. imagine that lol. sometimes you have to ditch the dead weight to get what you want. capital one is very notorious for keeping you in that subprime category if you keep the subprime cards open for some reason unless you wanna take years to get their good ones

i would ditch the $500 secured too and get your money back. you grew out of it so move on Smiley Wink

I agree.  That was my general feeling to begin with.  Maybe later i will app for a venture card but for now, these cards serve no purpose and it's better just to cancel now and concentrate on the prime cards i do have and can get.  Util is not a factor for me since i don't carry a balance on any cards, so canceling these cards will have no immediate impact on me at all.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

then keep us posted Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, my questions is:  Do i cancel these cards before the AF comes around?  I can qualify for just about any card i want with my scores and i know this will affect my AAoA 10 years down the road but does it really matter that much?  Do i try to wait it out to see if I will get a QS offer?  

Your call to make.  Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky when making your decisions.

We can't tell the future so we can't tell you the impact to your AAoA 10 years down the road.  I don't worry about it.  I've closed cards that were of no use to me and it has not prevented me from building my credit.  You don't need to hoard credit to build credit.  The only cards I have left from rebuilding are my 2 USAA cards and that's only because they've grown to 5 digit limits.

However, there are certainly those who subscribe to the "keep as much open as possible (generally keep all open if no AF)" meme.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, so.... About 2 years ago i started on the journey to work on my credit.  Starting from a score of 600 i was able to raise my scores to around 750 for all with no baddies.  I was just approved for an AmEx BCP for @$3600(haven't gotten the card yet to see if i can 3x) and I also have a discover IT(CLI to 6k tonight from $3.2k via online) and a Sallie Mae WMC($3200 requested CLI tonight,  48 hr msg).  My question is that I also have 3 capital one cards that i got about 1 year ago when i was rebuilding. One is a secured card with a $500 limit.  The other 2 are platinum card, one with a limit of $750 and the other with a limit of $2500.  I just contacted CS to try to get a PC to the QS card and all they would offer me was the QS1 card with an annual fee.  I didn't accept the updrage just do to the simple fact that i thought i should have been offered an upgrade to the QS with no annual fee. These cards will never be in my wallet as long as i have the Prime cards that i do now, especially being that i have 0% apr for over a year with all 3 prime cards i have at the moment.    So, my questions is:  Do i cancel these cards before the AF comes around?  I can qualify for just about any card i want with my scores and i know this will affect my AAoA 10 years down the road but does it really matter that much?  Do i try to wait it out to see if I will get a QS offer?  

1) The secured Cap-1 is gone no question...if the dog don't grow, he can't hunt, put him down Smiley Wink

2) The 2 Plats are interesting don't know how much younger they are than the secured...if you do keep them at least go ahead and combine the CL's

so no matter what you only have the one AF ...which they WILL drop (it's easier to PC to a QS or Venture once the CL is at least 3k combining the $2500 =$750

gets you there. It may take a Texas 2 step to there because CSR's aren't always the sharpest tools in the box but sometimes you've got to think around them.

Tell 'ok' combine the two cards close the secured and within a statement or two speak to a different rep and get that AF dropped...

It leaves open a older CL

leaves a relationship intact

and gives you util cushion in your sock drawer

Message 8 of 13
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

I would not cancel the platinum cards. Cap1 is not a subprime issuer, in my opinion, and having those cards for future PC and consolidation is worth it. I would personally be aggresive with CLI, PC and consolidation requests but keep those cards for now.
050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have noticed quoted frequently that platinum cards are every slow to grow.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.