cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Barfclays oh why oh why did you close my account.

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Dear Barfclays oh why oh why did you close my account.

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Barclay's is so stupid. I wouldn't have them b/c as long as I'm paying my bills when I'm suppose to, I should be able to apply for as much credit as I fell I can HANDLE without having someone looking over my shoulder.

Barclay is a bank and has obligations to its share holders to protect its assets.  Whether you feel you can "handle" more debt isn't what matters to them.  They have a fiduciary duty to determine whether your outstanding credit obligations and credit seeking behavior present a risk to them.  This has nothing to do with whether or not you pay on time but whether your profile presents an unacceptable risk to them.

This is a common mistake people forget and should act and think as a shareholder ...Good point Duncanrr

Wouldn't you watch your investment if it were your money being loaned out? Of course you would Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 31 of 112
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

So I'm the ONLY one seeing them as just a little too paranoid?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 32 of 112
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

No, they are a little paranoid Smiley Happy   They are agressive in their monitoring of new accounts.  Much more than most lenders.  I just think that you need to get to know your bank before you enter into a relationship with them.  Just as a bank does a credit check on you prior to extending you credit, you should do a bank check on them to see what they are like and how they have handled credit in the past. 

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 112
coterotie
Established Contributor

I was incredibly paranoid about apping for Barclay's when it popped up that I would be pre-approved.  So I got the Sportsman's visa before I apped then immediately apped for the Barclay's.  Got them both.   Waited a couple of months to apply for the card I really wanted which was the Marriott Chase got that one and haven't touched an application button since.  Trying to keep the Barclay's pretty much paid off, but since it is a Mastercard end up using it when I'm at Sam's and my wife has the debit card.

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I'm being really careful with it, as I want it to CLI from the initial 1,900 limit.

Message 34 of 112
suzeeh
Established Member

I had the same thing happen with me by American Express.  I had never missed a payment but they saw around $1,200 credit purchase I made for an upcoming cruise and several inquiries (probably four).  They even told me what the purchases they saw were for when I called, so they were going through it with a fine toothed comb.  I think this happens quite often from what I'm hearing.  Too many inquiries when you're trying to rebuild your credit is a real red flag to credit grantors. 

Message 35 of 112
suzeeh
Established Member

By the way, they closed both of my Am Ex account, which were never ever late.  That was $12,000 credit line which then caused my credit utilization to be much higher.  Watch those apps people.

Message 36 of 112
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay closed my account...

Barclays just plays a different game to the other lenders. They have zero tolerance, and reduce their exposure ruthlessly. That doesn't make it bad.

Message 37 of 112
Booboo71
Established Contributor

I understand they have to protect their assets as a bank. I just think it's ridiculous if I had waited 1 year compared to 3 months that would make a difference in their eye's . Yes I have had credit issues before but  they knew this also when they approved me for their card. 

Message 38 of 112
Booboo71
Established Contributor

I have established credit with others prior to their card but yet those cards haven't shut me down nor have I been late or had high utilization with them.

Message 39 of 112
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

To get back to the OP's original issue, did you contact them and see if they would reopen the account?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.