cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Barfclays oh why oh why did you close my account.

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Dear Barfclays oh why oh why did you close my account.

@Booboo71 wrote:

i was right for them 3 months ago when they granted me credit.  

you were, but you went ahead and opened 12 accounts in 3 months.

To be honest though that will freak out a lot of lenders.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 51 of 112
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

I understand they have to protect their assets as a bank. I just think it's ridiculous if I had waited 1 year compared to 3 months that would make a difference in their eye's . Yes I have had credit issues before but  they knew this also when they approved me for their card. 

There is no way of telling if they would have closed your accounts in 12 mos or 24 mos.  The red flags were the dozen new accounts in 3 mos.  if you had the account open for 2 years and decided to go on an app spree of 12 cc's, they would have had the 2years of pyt history to decide if the account was a risk.  Three months is too new for any lender when there are credit concerns, a thin file or util factors.

the difference between Barclays and Amex is called a FR - In this case they decided to cut their losses. 

+1

And, as enharu has pointed out, Barclays (or any lender) is within their rights to exit any business or credit realtionship with any individual at anytime for any reason.  Not every lender works for everyone.

Message 52 of 112
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

+1

You were ok with them for that short period, but your credit behavior by opening an excessive number of accounts certainly gave them reason to shut you down.  This essentially demonstrates a high risk for any underwriter, not to mention possible signs of overextension or financial mismanagement - their view.  Sorry.

Message 53 of 112
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay closed my account...

@rlx01 wrote:

Barclays just plays a different game to the other lenders. They have zero tolerance, and reduce their exposure ruthlessly. That doesn't make it bad.

+1

Purely business at the end of the day for any investor and the expectation with that particular company.

Message 54 of 112
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I guess it's like someone else posted one time about Barclay's...If you're planning an app spree and including them-app for them last.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 55 of 112
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I guess it's like someone else posted one time about Barclay's...If you're planning an app spree and including them-app for them last.

And not add 12 new TLs in 3 months 

Message 56 of 112
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

This can still backfire and has for some people.  They will periodically review your CR, so if they were "last" one on the lovely application spree, they sure can be the first to close your account(s) if there's eveidence of excessive inquiries or newly opened accounts within a 6-month timeframe of opening up the Barclays card.  Regardless, it can still have negative consequences.

Message 57 of 112
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

+1.

If you're planning to add 12 new TLs in 3 months, it doesn't matter if you app for them first or last.

If you app for them first, they'll just approve the app, and then close the account later on during a periodical review, which is what happened.

If you app for them last, they'll notice all the inquiries, and not approve the app. Even if they do approve the app, they're still going to close the account later during a periodical review. The only way this won't happen is if most of those other 11 accounts were hidden tradelines.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 58 of 112
BootStraps
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

Especially with the rampant identity theft out there.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 59 of 112
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

And not add anything for 6 month minimum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 60 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.