cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear TD Bank, **bleep**. (Target Visa CLD)

tag
mauve
Valued Contributor

Dear TD Bank, **bleep**. (Target Visa CLD)

Was just looking at my Experian report and I saw that TD Bank is now listed there for my Target Visa. "Nice", I thought. Then I noticed that my high balance was $1004 and my credit limit is now $200. SERIOUSLY. WHAT IS THAT?

It was $1000 until March.

It was already in the sock drawer - I was thinking about taking it out because of the switch to TD. Anyone else experience this? I had just gotten my last 3 digit card upgraded to a 4 digit card!  (Capital One, $500 to $5000). Ugh.

I don't use the Target Visa because of its insulting CL as well as its ridiculous APR. I have just been keeping it because it's one of my older cards.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Dear TD Bank, **bleep**. (Target Visa CLD)

@mauve wrote:

Was just looking at my Experian report and I saw that TD Bank is now listed there for my Target Visa. "Nice", I thought. Then I noticed that my high balance was $1004 and my credit limit is now $200. SERIOUSLY. WHAT IS THAT?

It was $1000 until March.

It was already in the sock drawer - I was thinking about taking it out because of the switch to TD. Anyone else experience this? I had just gotten my last 3 digit card upgraded to a 4 digit card!  (Capital One, $500 to $5000). Ugh.

I don't use the Target Visa because of its insulting CL as well as its ridiculous APR. I have just been keeping it because it's one of my older cards.

Well, I would give it one last shot calling in to TD bank and see if they can reinstate the CL.

If not.............................

AXE IT.jpg

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 12
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I thought after TD took over, there would be some improvement in CLI's, but I guess not...Smiley Mad! Target, like almost all others here, is my lowest limit, and truly is not worthy of being out of the SD any time soon. I will close it if I get no CLI by the Holidays this year. What am I going to buy with $200...Smiley Frustrated...LOL?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 12
mauve
Valued Contributor

I was just about to start using it at Target. Can't do much damage with $200.

It's my second oldest card, which is why I hadn't closed it yet. Well, that and that I wanted to keep my overall utilization as low as possible.

The rep just told me that if I use it and pay it off for 3-4 months, "the system" would automatically give me a  CLI. And, naturally, there is no PERSON I can talk to about it.

Maybe I'll test this "system" theory. At least academically, I am wondering what "the system" would do.

Message 4 of 12
mauve
Valued Contributor

The rep also said the reason for the decrease was that I haven't been using it. I said "I haven't been using it because my CL was insultingly low"

Message 5 of 12
moonman
Frequent Contributor

This happened to me this past November when they reduced my 1k limit to 200 because of non usage and then they closed it.I have older cards and I hardly ever shop at target so I understood why it was closed.

Message 6 of 12
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Target is my second lowest limit card I have JCP is the lowest. one.   That is fine on both accounts  for what I spend there most of  time I do not spend more than 10% of my limit. Even if  I do in a month Iwho cares I am not planning to app for anything anytime soon.  All three of my store cards I will never ask for a CLI on because of my average monthly spending  is less than 10% of my  credit limit.  I can remember the day when I would have been very happy wiith a 1000 limit..

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mauve wrote:

I was just about to start using it at Target. Can't do much damage with $200.

It's my second oldest card, which is why I hadn't closed it yet. Well, that and that I wanted to keep my overall utilization as low as possible.

The rep just told me that if I use it and pay it off for 3-4 months, "the system" would automatically give me a  CLI. And, naturally, there is no PERSON I can talk to about it.

Maybe I'll test this "system" theory. At least academically, I am wondering what "the system" would do.

Sorry to hear OP... it is very puzzling indeed.  I just got a $500 auto-CLI less than two months ago on my Target Visa (new CL of $5,500).  So, I wonder what may be causing some of the DCLs.  I use mine frequently here and there, but not heavily.  Then, again, I've had mine since 2001.

Message 8 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

sometimes banks decrease CL due to inactivity. This is more common for smaller banks with much more limited resources. Rather than extending CL to you which you're not going to use, they rather allocate the same resources to other customers who are more likely to be using it. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 12
mauve
Valued Contributor

I've had mine since 2003. Well, it was born as a regular redcard and graduated to a Visa - $200 to $1000 when that happened.

$5500?????? I've never heard of a Target Visa going that high.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.